U.K. Set to ban living mushrooms

Dana Beal dana at phantom.com
Mon Jan 3 09:23:44 EST 2005

indymedia.org.uk::Forwarded Article

save our MAGIC MUSHROOMS!!!

Yet again the government are trying to crack down on our rights to
choose. This week labour has proposed ammedments to the law to make all
sale and use of magic mushrooms illegal.

Yet again the government are trying to crack down on our rights to
choose. This week labour has proposed ammedments to the law to make all
sale and use of magic mushrooms illegal. Up untill now any preparation
and consumption of mushrooms has been considered illegal, but using and
selling them as long as they are fresh has not been stopped. The
proposed amendments will make any possession of them, irrespective of
whether they are dried or not, a class a offence. This means mushrooms
will be on par with crack, heroin and cocaine, and punishable by life
imprisonment if judged to be selling them.

I personally believe all drugs should be legal, as prohibition creates
more problems than solutions, however thats another argument for
another day.

However the case of keeping mushrooms legal is particularly important.
The reasons are numerous. First and foremost, they are a matter of
personal choice, and no government should decide what one can and
cannot fill their own body with.
Furthermore, Britain has several varieties of native magic mushroom,
and it would be absurd to ban a naturally occurring plant. It would be
like outlawing brambles, or sycamores!!

This poses the further question, are landowners who have magic
mushrooms growing on their land breaking the law? Watch out farmers of
Britain!!

Banning mushrooms would also be banning age old tradition. Throughout
the history of our country, magic mushrooms have been used to enlighten
and open eyes. Its part of our culture, and has been for millennia.

Moreover, its a victimless crime! No one has ever died from eating
magic mushrooms. Nor are they part of drug trafficking or gang crime.
More often than not, mushrooms are either grown or picked by
individuals and passed on to friends and associates, but not traffic-d.

These are only some of the reasons for keeping mushrooms legal and
there are many more. Just remember, a crack down of civil liberties and
right affects EVERYONE.

- WE DONT WANT STATE CONTROLED FUN!!

Attached comment from goodjeff:
As you know Magic Mushroom are bein gsold everywhere even by Asian
stallholders and now the government wants to stop it...Blair seems more
interested in this than the Tsunami....Happy New Year, GoodJeff(Kate's
stepdad) in Oxford

http://publish.uk.indymedia.org/en/2004/12/302975.html