[Ibogaine] meditation

Matthew Shriver matt at itsupport.net
Sun Aug 28 11:37:37 EDT 2005

I have actually been checking this out recently at the advice of friends
(and it's part of the 11th step which I am on).  My experience was that I
couldn't sit still for more than a few minutes and the whole time was just
repeated realizations that I was lost in thought.  After 3 to 5 minutes of
that I would just get frustrated and give it up.  And after trying that for
3 or 4 days a week for a week and half or so I would just stop doing it with
the major criticism being that I wasn't seeing any positive results.

So after talking to people about it and their experiences with it I was told
two things which I feel are important.  First that there are different ways
to meditate and that getting hung up on one idea of how it's supposed to be
done isn't helpful.  So I have had to let go of my concept of what proper
mediation is a little.  I like to read a lot of Buddhist literature and I
tended to think of meditation as a state of no-thought, something I cannot
achieve.  The second thing that someone who meditates daily told me was that
initially, the greatest benefit will come from the discipline of doing it
daily and not so much from the sitting itself.

One thing that had often turned me off to meditation is the time investment
people would talk about.  Someone would say, "oh if you do it for an hour a
day for a few months you'll be amazed..." and I would think, "yeah right,
who has an extra hour a day to sit and meditate?"

But my more recent experience has been more positive.  I sit every morning
for 3-5 minutes, however long I feel like.  And I don't put any expectations
on it about having fewer thoughts or catching them quicker or concentrating
on the breath or anything else.  I just sit and try and be with the spirit
of the universe for a few minutes, nothing more.  And I have to say that now
I am experiencing a positive benefit.  I feel lighter when I am done and
more ready to face the day.  My head will start churning about the shit I
need to do for work before I even get out of bed and sitting in the morning
is a good way of stopping that mental traffic for a few and starting with a
clearer mental space.
Matt