[Ibogaine] Gallo Research Center studies cause and treatment of alcohol, drug addiction

HSLotsof at aol.com HSLotsof at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 01:13:43 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/11/05 11:35:22 PM, bleshins at bigpond.net.au writes:

> ---- HSLotsof at aol.com wrote:
>
> Since non-N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors
> > mediate Purkinje cell excitation by climbing fibers, we hypothesized that
> > 1-4-aminophenyl-methyl-7,8-methylenedioxy-5H-2,3-benzodiazepine
> (GYKI-52466), which
> > antagonizes non-NMDA receptors, may have a neuroprotective effect by
> blocking
> > glutamatergic excitation at climbing fiber synapses. To test this
> hypothesis,
> > rats were administered systemic ibogaine plus GYKI-52466 and the degree of
> > neuronal injury was analyzed in cerebellar sections. The results indicate
> that
> > the AMPA antagonist GYKI-52466 (10 mg/kg i.p. x 3) does not protect
> against
> > Purkinje cell injury at the doses used. Rather, co-administration of
> GYKI-52466
> > with ibogaine produces increased toxicity evidenced by more extensive
> Purkinje
> > cell degeneration.
>

> Does the above property extend to other benzodiazepines?
> ie. could taking Valium with Ibogaine lead to greater brain damage?
> Or am I completely off the mark here?

Boris,

If it is not stated it should not be presumed.   For example, I was
researching benzodiazepine potentiation of opioid analgesia and thought there would be
a good deal of work but not only were there few papers on he issue, they were
divided as to outcome: potentiate or antagonize.   Molliver's   work is very
complex stuff for us lay people and none of us are taking 100 mg/kg of ibogaine
or the doses of whatever exotic benzodiazepine he is reporting on SO, there
is no data to go on when it comes to therapeutic doses of ibogaine and
therapeutic doses of benzodiazepines in combination except that they have been used
for decades without overt signs of toxicity.   That does not mean that Molliver
could not discover them to be neurotoxic.   But, be skeptical.   Low dose
ibogaine in combination with low dose valium class drugs are widely used.

Howard