Arianna Huffington: Support Our Troops: Call a Truce in America's Drug War

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 23:16:19 EDT 2005

Hi all (and please excuse the cross post to three lists- I figure it's
easier this way to send out something I find interesting and well worth
addressing by the population at large, those who use the drugs, those
wanting to stop using those drugs- or don't- and the press, which reports,
most often, the governments' version of how things are/should be when it
comes to currently illegal drugs),
    This blog is stuffed with hyperlinks, and well worth a visit for the
whole article I think. Huffington is someone I tend to like, which shouldn't
surprise most of those who've known me over the years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20050810/cm_huffpost/005382

Arianna Huffington: Support Our Troops: Call a Truce in America's Drug War

snip-

More and more soldiers coming home from Iraq are developing mental health
problems (a recent study by the Army's Surgeon General put the number at 30
percent). Already nearly 25,000 Iraq and   Afghanistan vets have been
diagnosed with psychological ailments. Because of the nature of the fighting
in Iraq -- constant threats, hard to discern enemy, ambiguous goals --
experts expect that number to continue to rise. And soldiers suffering from
such problems are known to have higher rates of substance abuse.
So how will we respond when the young men and women we sent to stamp out
Saddam's WMD...uh, I mean, bring democracy to the people of Iraq... start
getting busted for taking to drugs to deal with their troubles?
Will we "stay the course" and do what we've being doing for decades (a
failed strategy that has our prisons bursting at the seams, with around
half-a-million people doing time on drug charges)? Or will we finally come
to our senses and start dealing with nonviolent drug use as a medical
problem not a criminal one?

snip-

Peace and love,
Preston Peet