more on wireheads

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 20:15:19 EDT 2005

Hi there all,
    An old friend I haven't seen in nearly 15 years contacted me through the
internet recently, having stumbled across my name on-line, and he sent me an
old notebook of mine which I recieved just yesterday. Just now, looking over
the old names and numbers of folk I do not remember whatsoever, I realized
that in very tiny print, at the very bottom of the page, there's this:

"When Gravity Fails" by George Alec (?) Effinger.

I'm not exactly sure of that middle name of the author, but the title is
correct, and I remember there were at least a couple books in the series,
starring this PI who used programs that installed temporarily in the head-
it was the first place I came across the concept of wireheads- those
addicted to electrical stimulation of the pleasure centers of the brain by
simply plugging into a wall socket or some other electrical source. Great
books.
Anyway, this was who I was trying to remember last week when we were having
this discussion about wireheads.
    Also, it's VERY weird reading in this notebook poems and rants to
myself, my tumultuous thoughts and turmoils with crack, which was my problem
drug at that time in my life, having only played around with smoking heroin
while living in Paris without ever getting a habit, and having only had my
morphine habit in the hospital at that point in my life. No opiates in
Florida at that time that I could ever find. Crack though, boy that stuff
was everywhere, thanks to the CIA and friends.

Peace and love,
Preston

mistaken for madness"
Richard Davenport-Hines