[Ibogaine] Re: rant again MAPS and burning man attendees

Matthew Shriver matt at itsupport.net
Mon Aug 8 23:25:37 EDT 2005

I have been told by people who have moved here (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
that the NA is somehow special and that we are lucky.  I mean literally,
people will say that.  When I have enquired what they mean they say stuff
like "the recovery is very strong here."  I have been to meetings in other
places but I have never hooked into the NA community anywhere else so I have
never really understood what they meant.  But I am wondering if I am seeing
something related to it here.

I don't want to be "Mr. NA" around here or feel like I have to be in a
position to defend NA, my attitude is pretty much like Tink's, if it works
great, if not that's fine also.  But what I hear people describing is not
what I know as NA.  When I got to NA they told me "Take what you can use and
leave the rest."  And they said, "If anyone ever tries to tell you they know
the one, exact, way you should work your program, run from them."  No-one
ever gave the impression that NA was the only game in town.  They were just
adamant that it worked.

My boss is on the NA world board and when I recently talked to people in NA
about the possibility of taking ibogaine again, he was one of the most
open-minded ones of all. When I told him I had had a spiritual experience
the last time I took ibo he took it at face value. Some people had politely
dismissed my claim suggesting it was a mere drug experience.  He was one of
the few who didn't even suggest that taking ibogaine might lead to using
other drugs again, something almost everyone else suggested.  And this is a
man who has helped write the NA basic text.  My understanding is that
open-mindedness is hugely important in recovery and so I try to be, but I
see it in my boss and other people in recovery around here.

I agree that the whole approach from the very first premise of powerlessness
is not for everyone and I wouldn't want to force feed it to anyone.  As Tink
pointed out anyway, you gotta want to get clean before you can get clean.
Treatment centers and jail prove that.  But just for the record I want to
quote this:
"We cannot change the nature of the addict or addiction.  We can help to
change the old lie 'Once an addict, always an addict,' by striving to make
recovery more available.  God, help us to remember this difference."
--The NA Basic Text page xiv
Matt