[Ibogaine] muggings/OT rant about my bad luck

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Mon Aug 8 19:57:27 EDT 2005

luck to you Randy.
    Got mugged for the first time ever here in NYC a couple days ago, broad
daylight, 11:30 AM, rightoutside of Mars Bar. I couldn't believe it, and I
was holding my cane and coulda beaned him, but after he swung the box cutter
at me, that nanosecond of extreme intelligence-induced imagination kicked in
and I imagined him either getting beaned by me and blinking then killing me,
or beaning him, having the cane break, him blinking, then killing me, or me
beaning him, or trying to but having him grab the cane instead and then
having both my cane and his boxcutter- and I decided the $13 or so dollars I
had inside a pocket of my bag was worth a lot less than a lot of what could
happen (especially since I've been reading about friends here on the list
getting pummled or robbed without pummling). So I took the money from the
pocket of my bag and sorta tosswed it at him and took off slowly walking
across the street (2nd Ave), then as I got across the street I turned to see
what he was doing and he was now following me with increasing speed. I
pulled out my cell phone and yelled, "I'm calling 9-11, I'm calling 9-11!"
(Can you believe it? ME, calling the cops. I couldn't but that's what
they're there for, right?) I was on the phone literally for over 2 minutes
with the dispatcher as this guy followed me up 2nd Ave., until he suddenly
decided that maybe I really was on the phone with 9-11 and turned around and
went off around the corner.
    I could not believe it. I've always told myself I would NOT let myself
get mugged, that I carry a blatant weapon, that I don't look like a target
(dress or no dress), blah, blah, blah, but none of that mattereed when it
came right down to it. I decided I did not want to risk getting cut for such
pittance.
    He was leaning against the wall outside a closed Mars Bar and asked me
for a cigarette. Being so broke (and having JUST borrowed money from Dana),
I usually don't give them out to strangers on the streets, because I myself
can find myself scrounging for smokes so can't afford to give them out willy
nilly. But for some reason I stopped and said "sure thing, here you go," and
handed him a smoke. Next thing I know he's got this box cutter in his hand,
saying, "give me your money." I laughed out loud. "Money? What money? I'm
fucking broke as shit man!" So he swung the box cutter and I suddenly
"remembered" that yes indeed I did have a wee bit of cash I could throw his
way so did so.
    Man, first time ever and it felt like shit, so demasculating, so
irritating, so aggrevating. But I'm alive, unhurt, uncut, and only out $13
bucks, so I figure what the hell, if I gotta get mugged, at least that was a
fairly harmless version of the mugging thing.

Peace and love,
Preston Peet

mistaken for madness"
Richard Davenport-Hines