[Ibogaine] Re: rant against MAPS and burning man attendees

Matthew Shriver matt at itsupport.net
Mon Aug 8 17:07:19 EDT 2005

Wow.  Well good luck with all that.  In defense of NA I will say that
millions of addicts all over the world get and stay clean there, I know of
nothing else that can make that claim.  I would also submit that you don't
entirely understand the meaning of the powerlessness in the 1st step and I'm
pretty sure the word fuckwit isn't in there.  But I won't waste my time
trying to convince you.  I just want to point out that NA is not a cult, it
is simply another option that works for some addicts.  Anything that works
to help an addict get and stay clean is not to be dismissed so lightly.

As for the disease concept, my personal opinion is that it can be a useful
tool in early recovery, because it places a responsibility on the addict to
do something about it's treatment.  There is an old Buddhist parable about a
man who comes to a river that he cannot cross. So he builds a boat, rows
across, and then having reached the other side, does not proceed to carry
the boat on his back as he continues his journey.  The boat, although
useful, served it's purpose and so he leaves it behind.  That's my view on
the disease concept.  Really it's a moot point.  I know I'm an addict, just
like I know I have brown hair, so what?  It is what it is.
Matt