[Ibogaine] Re: rant again MAPS and burning man attendees

Matthew Shriver matt at itsupport.net
Mon Aug 8 13:42:49 EDT 2005

Well as an active NA member (I hold service positions at group and Area
level where I live) I think this assessment is a little harsh.  At least the
conclusion, "...his message is as reasonable as it's going to get" [from the
12 step recovery crowd].  I disagreed with some of his positions mainly on
one crucial point.  Not everyone who does drugs is an addict.  Based on that
one point, I have to recognize that there are people who get to use
recreationally.  I just have to remember that I am not one of them.
However, and I think this point is recognized in Mason's post, there are
addicts who think they are using recreationally who have yet to come to
terms with their addiction.  My personal opinion is that people should be
free to use whatever they like, addicts and non-addicts alike.  Because they
should all be free to have their own experience, whatever it winds up
looking like.  Addicts who don't realize they are addicts will get to
experience what that is like, and in the end will either grow from that
experience or die from it.  But I am clear that I don't have the right to
deprive them of that experience.
Matt