[Ibogaine] Re: [Ibogaine Matt and the rooms

Matthew Shriver matt at itsupport.net
Sat Aug 6 23:09:02 EDT 2005

You sound like your experiences are very similar to mine.  I can see a lot
of similarities in what you shared and what I have gone through myself in
terms of the evolution of my spirituality.  I'm still an NA guy, pretty much
all the way, but I have recently come to see where my beliefs diverge
radically from the rest of the NA community, and that is around the very
drug this list is based on.  In NA all drugs are lumped together, fairly or
not.  I had always, and still do, consider hallucinogens to be undeserving
of being in the same category with alcohol, cocaine, and heroin.  But I also
have personal experience with taking acid addictively when nothing else was
readily available.  I mean who takes acid every day for a week?  And the
tolerance builds daily so I was eating like 20 hits by the last day.  But
even so I have always felt differently about those drugs.  And my feelings
around ibogaine are even more radical.  I consider it a powerful way to
increase, amplify, cleanse, (not sure what is the right term here) my
spirit.  In fact I consider its effects to be very spiritual in nature.  But
drugs are generally considered "artificial spirituality" in NA.  People have
actually told me that they believe that if I were to take ibogaine again now
that I am clean, some aspect of my addiction could take hold and I could
find myself getting loaded on crack or heroin again.  This is absurd to me,
but I can understand where they get the notion.  At any rate, one thing I
have learned about myself in recovery and from my experiences with drugs in
general is that I want to get underneath the surface reality of this
universe and get down with whatever is really going on.  I mean, if there is
a spiritual buzz to be had, I freaking want it.  I don't want to settle for
good enough when there is a deeper connection available.  And so that is
what I am about these days. Well that and rock climbing and mountain biking.

Matt

  _____