[Ibogaine] Ibogiane related news in July MAPS newsletter

Dana Beal dana at phantom.com
Sat Aug 6 18:30:35 EDT 2005

Yeah, it puts a strain on the heart. We knew that.

In the instant case the patient, herself a nurse practicianer, begged
to be treated. Against the best instincts of the staff, she signed
every possible release indemnifying them against liability. That didn't
do any good when she died 5 days after the treatment, of course.
According to NIDA, any death of anyone who's taken ibogaine--no matter
how long after their last treatment--is an ibogaine-related fatality.

For people with heart problems, we have to just say no. At least until
Ibogaine is more widely accepted. And we should focus availability on
drug-dependency--which gives us a medical leg to stand on if and when
some one does die. In such cases, we can always argue that we were
acting to avert a statistically much greater probability that they
would die if they continued their addiction.

So--just say no to psychedelic tourists!

We had some one from the conference at Alex Grey's would bugged Patrick
to get her a dose of ibogaine to--get this!--treat her pot dependency.
We told her it doesn't work for that; and that anyway, if we had any
influence in the matter, all doses of ibogaine were going to wind up in
bona fide hard drug addicts. One week later she announced that she had
a new job working for Robert Morgenthau's campaign. (You remember, the
Morgenthau who's pals wi. Montell Williams, the one whose office
prosecuted Howard Lotsof in 1966?)

So maybe they were testing us. If all of you restrict access to
addicts, no one will end up selling a narc a take-home dose to take
back to the crime-lab. This is a consideration not only in the U.S.,
Belgium, Switzerland, Denmark and Sweden--but also wherever the DEA can
make a claim to be stopping "narco-terrorism."

Since Ibogaine threatens what Burroughs called "the Junk Pyramid"
everywhere,  it's only a matter of time before Sensenbrenner or Souder
or one of those midwest republican nut-jobs decides that Ibogaine is
per se terrorism, inasmuchas preserving such pyramids is at the heart
of Bush's economic strategy.  Check out "Patriot Act: House
Reauthorization Includes New "Narcoterrorism" Offense"
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/398/patriot1.shtml

Face it: to the 51% who voted in the last election to sustain the U.S.
seizure of the Iragi oilfields, Ibogaine is Un-American.

It's narco-terrorist for the same reasons as medical marijuana--They
are terrified that their kids, based on the facts, are going to come
over to our side, and that they're going to lose politically what they
could not lose on the battlefield, like they did in Vietnam. Always
remember, Watergate put an end to Nixon's Drug War--until Reagan got in
again. All we have to do this time around is to hold out until disaster
sweeps Bush and his drug warriors into the abyss.

Dana/cnw