[Ibogaine] Marc Emery out on bail

Ron Davis rwd3 at cox.net
Wed Aug 3 10:20:42 EDT 2005

he's one of the few lucky enough to have the assets to afford competent
counsel and bail money at the same time.  I have clients that have bonds
that are sky high which is tantnamount to no bond,  no assets and are forced
to stay in jail , losing everything as their case creeps through the system.
Many plead guilty just to get out( time served or long prison sentences) or
get their case over because they cannot stand the local jails where they are
held.  ( many jails charge inmates for housing so that the inmate cannot
afford commissary which sells basic things like boxer shorts, socks,
toothpaste and bad food treats).  Because of the cost,  the inmate cannot
afford the $1.50 US a minute phone calls to loved ones , either. Some belong
there, some do not,  point is most do not have the luxury of getting out
before their trial to work, assist their lawyer in mounting a defense and
tend to their families and business.  More power to these guys,  if they
were  jailed where I mostly work,  they'd still be there.  Cell phones are
bad anyway, we've (me) have become dependent upon them and overlook the fact
it is the least secure means of personal communication.. Like me posting
this. I might as well be on top of a building in NYC shouting this to all
dumb enough to listen and giving the heat my name and address. Thank God for
what's left of free speech in the US,  it's going fast. ron