Alcoholic Father Disappointed in Pot Head Son

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 17:08:05 EDT 2005

Hi all,
    For those who don't know, The Onion is a spoof paper, inspired by such
classic rags at The Realist and National Lampoon.
Enjoy.

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4130&n=3

Alcoholic Father Disappointed in Pot Head Son

REEDSBURG, WI-Working-class father of four and veteran alcoholic James
Schultz, 53, expressed deep disappointment Monday in his 19-year-old son
Travis, for "turning into a goddamn pothead" after moving away from home to
attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

(illustration snipped)
Above: Lifelong alcoholic James Schultz drowns his sorrows about his
"worthless pothead son" Travis (inset).

"After the hard work I put in at the screen-door factory all these years,
this is how he rewards me?" Schultz said during a 1:30 a.m. statement held
at Captain Pete's Bar and Grill. "That boy should be working for a living,
like his old man, instead of smoking weed and doing God knows what with a
bunch of liberal lowlifes."
Schultz punctuated the impromptu speech by finishing off the last of his
drink and ordering another from bartender and friend Al Zandek.
Members of the family said Schultz and his son fought over Travis'
illegal-drug use Sunday, after Schultz found a small bag of marijuana while
rifling through the boy's pockets for beer money.
The elder Schultz confronted his son at the dinner table that night.
"He slurred his way through a half-coherent lecture on the dangers of
addiction, shouting in my face about what a disappointment I was to the
family," Travis said.
Travis said Schultz continued his drunken anti-drug tirade well into the
night, eventually lumbering out the door, presumably to go to Captain
Pete's.
When asked to comment on the face-off, Schultz's wife Ellen said that, while
it is true that her son has been bringing a lot of funny ideas home, she
didn't think college was "turning him into a druggie."
"So he tried pot-a lot of young kids these days do things they later
regret," said Ellen, 51. "Everybody has regrets about decisions they made
when they were young."
Ellen defended her husband, as well.
"James only gets like that because he loves Travis," she said. "He's a very
sensitive man. A lot of people don't realize that. They only see the temper.
It's certainly nothing to call social services about, like [neighbor] Dianne
Klosterbaum did last year. It's just the way James is when he's letting off
steam."
Safely amongst his drinking buddies at the bar, Schultz continued outlining
his disappointment in Travis.
"I wish he'd just sit down over some beers with me and talk this through,"
Schultz said. "But there's no talking sense to a dope addict."
According to drinking companion Doug Blaine, Schultz keeps his feelings to
himself, except when he's "half in the bag."
"He'd never let on, but he's got a lot of pressures on him, what with his
second mortgage, his liver troubles, and his court date coming up," Blaine
said. "He's real closed off, but sometimes, late at night around last call,
he'll start to let you in a little. And it's clear that pothead kid of his
is breaking his heart."
"Why anybody would want to smoke pot is beyond me," Blaine added. "Doesn't
that kid know that stuff is going to rot his brain?"
At 3 a.m., Schultz used his last quarter to call home and wake up Ellen for
a ride, explaining that he's already gotten picked up for two DUIs.
"Who's going to drive my wife to work in the morning so we can pay some
bills?" Schultz asked. "That stoner son of mine? I don't think so."

Peace and love,
Preston Peet

mistaken for madness"
Richard Davenport-Hines