[ibogaine] Bill -Laurent- Re: [ibogaine] rootbark & homemade extract

HSLotsof at aol.com HSLotsof at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 18:52:16 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/6/04 11:33:23 PM, ross at cgl.ucsf.edu writes:

>> I know that initiation is a one-time deal, and unless one
>> has voyaged to the land of the ancestors, one has failed and
>> will never be 'banzi'. Other than that, iboga is really an annual,
>> ten-day religious ceremony where the congregation only sips
>> minute amounts of 'automatique', the iboga brew...
>
>Can anyone else confirm this? Do Ngangas and musicians go through
>anything further than the initiation? I have heard that some people
>(civilians as it were) do the larger doses on a more ongoing basis.

I can't confirm it by first person observation but, everything I have been
told or read indicates individuals may take high doses of iboga on more than one
occasion.  The Bwiti initiation may be distinct from other high dose use.  I
would like Laurent to comment on this but, from his photographic exhibit <
http://ibogaine.org/ehoumou19.html> as it seems Ehoumou conducts Bwiti initiations
that he is using high or mid dose iboga on these occasions for medical
consultations.  It is common knowledge that low doses are used for remembrance and
stimulant purposes by chapel members during Bwiti initiations and possibly
other Bwiti rites.  There are reports of Bwiti and possibly others taking high
doses of iboga on more than one occasion for various reasons other than Bwiti
initiations, principally for healing purposes it appears. But, the exact doses
used are not given and doses vary from individual to individual.  As to the
annual aspect of the rites, some rites are annual and others are when necessary or
indicated.  Sazy's photographs show both but, let's hear from Laurent on
this. http://www.ibogaine.org/sazy.html

Howard