[ibogaine] -Laurent- Re: [ibogaine] rootbark & homemade extract

Nick Sandberg nicks22 at onetel.com
Tue Jan 6 14:29:59 EST 2004

I have to say I think your post was a bit strong, really, Laurent. Shamen
the world over have for millenia battled (some not so hard!) with the
tendency to create a "cult of the individual" from their work. And, frankly,
posts like yours only reinforces this tendency. The notion of the "great
healer" is a strong ego archetype and one with only limited real use in the
work itself. What starts out as a healing gift can easily soon become simply
a milieu for self-agrandisement. No one has exclusive rights over iboga,
neither corporations nor ethnic or religious groups. I'm sure there a plenty
of pygmy groups who complain that the Fang and Missoko tribespeople are
inadequate to become Bwiti, for instance. Who's to say how and where iboga
should be eaten.

The drug is strongly astral in nature, and has thus direct connection with
the formative, primal state of existence from which our own conscious
experience of reality descends. Meaning, roughly, that it can manifest
pretty much according to its own agenda when, where, and unto whom it wants.
In addition to this, the hardship of African initiations might be considered
necessary for humans from certain cultural and racial backgrounds, but I
can't imagine this is so for everyone.

Iboga is a self-liberating drug and it is not necessary to use it in ritual
context. It's beyond all that

Nick