[ibogaine] Weening from methadone with H

shelley krupa skrupa20022002 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 09:59:58 EDT 2004

Hey List ,and thanks julian,I really like what you said,food for thought this am!

Sapphirestardus at aol.com wrote:You are correct Hannah. This is and has been one of the more popular 'Urban' and 'Suburban' myths. Though baby boomers will be the only true test subjects of long term use, as far as chemicals go, methadone (unfortunately or fortunately) is a relatively safe drug. I know people don't want to hear this and certainly don't wish to believe it, but based on the research (not opinions) almost all of the shit you hear about meth comes from addicts and most addicts are just not informed.

            Also I wanted to tell Shelly something, you did not fuck up at all. There are a couple of thoughts about this: the one most cliche but very true is plain and simple, life often is 2 steps forward-one step back. You are still ahead of the game. But I don't think you even went back. This is the reason I do not think one's specific goal should be "getting off drugs". It is a great notion, but you need to understand and learn what about you and your life allows you to perpetuate an attitude and behavior that is negative for you or just something you no longer wish to do. Doing drugs is rarely the only problem or situation in your life that needs work. Correct?

            What happens often in therapy is the drug abuse is the goal, and they are able to arrest that behavior but most of the time other patterns will develop e.g. overeating, isolation, total inactivity (depression that manifests as not working, lying in bed all day etc.) and a million others! This is because both therapist and patient believe the symptom is the problem. There is no doubt that in a culture such as ours, abuse and addiction to drugs is a problem and causes problems. BUT!!! People who have no issues to deal with that are self destructive try grugs, even do them for a while but are always able to control it. Those of us with 'issues' or 'problems' allow ourselves to commit to self destruction, a hurtful existence and in general negative patterns and that is what we should be seeking as a goal in any treatment. Shelly, we set ourselves up for disappointment and feelings of 'failure' because a symptom manifested in our lives and we have been taught that the symptom
 is the problem.

            Shelly, I hope you believe me because I promise you this is the truth. YOU did not fuck up and of course YOU are not a fuck up. You experienced a symptom of something within you that needs to be dealt with. That is all. Have a really great day!

                                                                  Sincerely,

                                                                              Julian