[ibogaine] Dana/Ibogaine in NY Times

mcorcoran mcorcoran27 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 18:07:59 EDT 2004

Oh Howard, you'll find this funny. I'm on my way back from the UN Rally
 ( Dag Hammerskold Plaza ) and I bump into none other than Mr. Alan Keyes! I told him I was a "republican for peace" and I have always been a big fan since his days on Bill Maher (all bullshit of course) anyway then I ask him if he knows anything about ibogaine. He said it sounded familar but refresh his memory. Now all his people are listening to this whole thing in front of the W hotel. I say how I was born in IL. and I know that inner cities in Chicago are full of drugs and that the black commuinty has been affected especailly hard and that what if they knew that there potential salvation was is a natural substance grown only in Africa that is illegal only here and another handful of counrties thast are full of drug compaines? Then without him having a chance to respond I worked the republicn agenda a little talking about tax dollars and all wasted money going to for medicaid to send people in and out of detoxes at 10K a head and thats when it got good. I mean I had him! So he
 gave me his email address said he could comment until he had more facts and asked me to send him more info. I'm digging for it now and I'm having a hard time finidng it but maybe I'll send him to your site if your open to it.
I found it very enjoyable. -M.
HSLotsof at aol.com wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/30/nyregion/30yippies.html

NYTimes.com > New York Region

Anticapitalists, Marijuana Advocates Real Estate Barons?

By COLIN MOYNIHAN

Published: August 30, 2004

ver the decades the Yippies have become infamous as a counterculture group
known for colorful pranks and criticizing capitalism. Recently, though, the
group entered the world of high-stakes Manhattan real estate, buying the East
Village building that has been its longtime headquarters for $1.2 million.

In 1973, a few members of the group - begun by Abbie Hoffman, known for
scattering dollar bills onto the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, and others
and officially called the Youth International Party - moved into the
three-story building at 9 Bleecker Street, near the Bowery. Over the years their monthly
rent rose to more than $8,000 from $675. In 2000 the building was sold, and
the Yippies faced eviction.
After months of negotiation, however, a deal was reached that will allow the
group, which first entered public consciousness during the Chicago Seven
political conspiracy trial following widespread disturbances during the 1968
Democratic convention, to hold onto its spiritual home.
A partnership formed with Yippie Holdings and an advocacy group called the
National AIDS Brigade paid the former owner, Harlan Berger, $100,000, said a
Yippie leader, Dana Beal, who has lived in the building since 1973. Mr. Berger
offered a loan in the form of a mortgage, Mr. Beal added, which the Yippies will
pay off at the rate of about $11,000 per month. The partnership will form a
nonprofit organization, Mr. Beal said, and turn the building into a Yippie
museum and an advocacy center to fight transmission of AIDS.
Mr. Beal said that since the Yippies co-own the building, he planned to use
the property as equity to quickly get loans to pay off the $1.1 million owed to
Mr. Berger. He said he also planned to use air rights to build an additional
story on the roof that could be sold or rented.
Mr. Berger did not return calls from this reporter, but a lawyer who
represented him in the transfer, Andrew Albstein, said the deed had been turned over
to the Yippies.
For the two dozen or so veteran Yippies who are still in New York, as well as
a handful of others scattered across the country, the building is far more
than a pile of bricks and mortar in a gentrifying district.
"Smoke-ins, rallies, protests," Mr. Beal said, in a chair on the building's
cluttered second floor. "This is where it all happened for us."
Stacks of newspapers and books lined the loft-like room, including "My Life
in Garbology," in which the Yippie A. J. Weberman described what he found while
rooting through the trash of such diverse figures as Bob Dylan and the former
F.B.I. director J. Edgar Hoover. Antiwar posters adorned the walls, and
several cats prowled the premises.
"This place is a temple of insurrection," said Aron Kay, another longtime
Yippie.
There is plenty of history at No. 9, as the building is affectionately known
to visitors. It was there that newspapers like The Yipster Times, later called
Overthrow, was published.
Demonstrations during national political conventions were planned there, as
were annual pot parades calling for the legalization of marijuana. A scarred
wooden door in the basement is a reminder of the day in 1981 that someone set
off a bomb in front of the building.
Mr. Beal said he would also use the building as a base to advocate the
legalization of ibogaine, a derivative of an African shrub that he said has the
ability to interrupt addiction to dangerous substances, like heroin.
And, of course, the Yippies being Yippies, the building has been abuzz with
preparations for the Republican convention. In the past weeks, people have
gathered on the ground floor, where they painted signs to carry in protests during
the convention.
"Yippies haven't missed a convention since 1964," Mr. Beal said. "And this
one is only a few blocks away."