[ibogaine] Re:Oops-i slipped!. (there is a bit of a crash) Howard?

D H dave at phantom.com
Sun Aug 29 17:21:31 EDT 2004

> Dave and Howard and anyone else out there with significant clean
> time.....how did you not use when all that old stuff showed back  up?
> >>

> Fear of using and something to do.  A purpose to have.  A quest to
> follow.
> Something to do and more something to do that gives a sense of
> accomplishment
> and pleasure.

yes, activities to keep you focused, and a support network, someone
who's been there/done that and ain't doin it no-more to confide in is a
big plus.

I don't like to say "I'm afraid of using", fear sucks and I have found
it a poor basis for inspiration.

finding a real feeling of love for life works better, in my opinion.

hobbies are great.

for me, post ibo i had to rely on NA meetings after "slipping"
(---well, there wasn't a banana peel, i planned it), but truth be told,
in retrospect what really helped me was riding a bike. I would
squirrely and jump on my bike and ride till the feeling passed (which
was generally after about 30 minutes of pedaling when the endorphins
were really flowing)... thus:: _.excercise and where I lived, wide open
spaces of ~nature~.

counseling helped too, if you can find a cool/affordable counselor.
Meetings are free, and well, if nothing else they bring about a network
of people not using. The steps are pretty cool guidelines, I guess my
"NA" view bolied the steps down to 2 basic things: Don't be an asshole
and do things differently... which is actualy just: "do things
differently" because I had been such an asshole and everything I knew
about dealing with life ended up as dope in my bloodstream... I had to
become highly open to new ideas and ways of coping. After about 4-5
years I burned out on meetings and haven't been in a long time. My path
& the NA path stopped resonating so I moved on to 'other stuff' which
works for me.

_.dh