[ibogaine] ibo and near death

D H dave at phantom.com
Fri Aug 20 13:40:52 EDT 2004

On Friday, August 20, 2004, at 06:45 AM, Preston Peet wrote:

>     I have recently read that there are notions that taking ibogaine
> induces
> a near-death state. Any feedback on this anyone?

yes. I can relate. For me ibogaine was very much a near-death
experience, that is, from what I've read about them and the 3-4 near
death experiences that I had myself when I OD'd. I definitely left my
body each time I took Ibo, well, my astral body anyhow. At the time I
could literally feel my soul separating from my physical body. Since
then, thru talking with a certain mystic and reading about our
different "bodies", it probably wasn't my "soul" but my astral body.
Not only did "I" leave my body but "I" left the earth and went back to
'the source', which is a highly fucking cool, re-assuring,
awe-inspiring and comfortable place to visit. This is the source of
where art comes from. The seat of creation.

I felt that if I made the choice, I could have NOT come back. But, like
my OD's, There was a distinct message of... "Like Dude, you have more
work to do. Its not your time, YET" - spoken by that disembodied voice
so many of us experience... higher self? ibo spirit? gawd? -whatever
makes sense to YOU personally.

About 5 years before Ibogaine I had a waking dream (it may very well
have been an OD-induced near death experience, I just don't really know
but I was doing a LOT of smack at the time) where my two gaurdian
angels came to me, in their blue luminescent glory, and basically let
me know I had a hard road ahead, but whatever I do, don't give up, it
will be OK and there will be "signs" along the way to give me hope.
Little did I know one of the biggest "signs" would be in the form of a
hypertext link in a notorious newsgroup called alt.drugs.hard. The rest
is history.

A further note. There are many people who, unaware of ibogaine's
anti-addictive qualities, identify it as the "astral travel drug". The
day I came back from Europe and went to the methadone clinic to tear up
my dose card in the clinic directors office... he asked what
precipitated such a bold move. I mentioned that I had dosed on
Ibogaine... and a gigantic smile erupted from his face. It turns out he
had, with a group of other psychologists and shamans, used Ibogaine for
astral travel -apparently there was a lot of Ibogaine experimentation
in the bay area in the late 70's and early 80's. He was completely
unaware of ibo's anti-addictive qualities, yet there he was an Ibo
initiate running a methadone clinic. The plot thickens...

_.dh