ibo and near death

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Fri Aug 20 12:45:54 EDT 2004

Hi all,
    So another new developement- I pulled out my manuscript for Something in
the Way, a "novel" I wrote a couple of years ago which has been languishing
in the apartment due to my getting really tired of rejection slips from
agents and publishers.
    Anyway, I think it's a great book but has been in dire need ot reeding,
rewriting actually, and I've been intimidated looking at the amount of work
it's going to take. So I pulled it out yesterday and began the rewrite,
putting it all back into first person format so I can pitch it more as a
memoire type deal.
    As I began writing this morning, I realized something. I'm still on the
first chapter (as it stands now first chapter, although I think I'm going to
shift things around a bit) which describes the car accident as a teenager,
the one which resulted in my being introduced to morphine for the first
time, IV too.
    The point of this note is to say that I am just at the point in the
chapter where I have the accident, and am about to begin describing my
reaction while lying on the road with the paramedics working on me, and it
has struck me right smack in the head-
I spent some time immediately following the accident, that time just before,
during and after the paramedics arrived, set me up in the ambulance (which
was told didn't need to hurry as my Dad and I were both as near as the cop
could tell, dead- we both survived and are still alive today, 20 years later
this Nov. 7) and took me to the emergancy room, after which I spent a couple
week completely out- and DREAMING.
    The dreams which I had not thought of in years were extremely vivid,
remarkably like, you guessed it, what I experienced the first time through
the ibogaine experience. So I am wondering exactly how close to "near death"
I got that time (I do know it was VERY close and that there were times I was
rushed for more emergancy surgery over the next few months where the nurses
in progressive intensive didn't expect me to be coming back- but I showed
them) and how close I got to it while taking ibogaine?
    I have recently read that there are notions that taking ibogaine induces
a near-death state. Any feedback on this anyone?
Peace and love,
Preston