Lee Albert's ibogaine book available

Nick Sandberg nick227 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 15 14:19:45 EDT 2004

Lee Albert's book "Amazing Grace," in which he details his ibogaine
experiences and what he learned from them has now been published. Available
from Amazon next month or now from the following links:

 www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?q3=3RlL8AxJb8A%253d

 www.myeboga.com/amazinggrace.html

Pasting below Karl Naeher's introduction and Lee's foreword.

all the best

Nick Sandberg

Foreword by Karl Naeher

Of all the people looking for an Eboga treatment, Lee was the only one
coming over by ship and from Greece at that. This triggered two flashes of
thought in me: Ulysses, the man who, after a long and arduous journey,
finally found his way back to his island and to love; and the Eleusi, the
2,000-year-old Greek temple where seekers were initiated into the secrets of
the divine by a magic and psychedelic drink called kykeon.
Meeting Lee for the first time in the harbor of Venice, I encountered an
intelligent businessman who was “washed with all seven seas,” instinctively
sizing you up to put some useful labels on you, which wasn’t difficult for
someone who had gone through years of psychotherapy.
On his healing journey, Lee embarked on a ship that cannot be appreciated by
everybody. His journey gave him access to the knowledge necessary to master
one’s life in peace and love. It also healed many wounds. In the manner of
ancient traditions, the revelations came in the form of a symbolic language,
not always easy to decipher.
This journey is an invaluable contribution to show a relatively fast and
exciting way to cross the wavy sea of our troubled souls and to find our way
back home, where love awaits us. However, it cannot be described as a
pleasure cruise. It took Lee six years of persistent adherence and trust in
the way of Eboga to fully comprehend and arrive close to the end of his
Process. Pain was part of that journey. During these years of persistent
adherence and trust in the way of Eboga, Lee charted the waters of the
Process to give us useful hints as to how to proceed successfully and what
to expect with Eboga and ibogaine. He built a bridge between an ancient
African initiatory rite of passage and a modern everyday world. His life
story is a living example of how Eboga can change one’s life for the “Good.”
Like Lee himself, the reader is called to participate in the exciting search
for meaning in the otherworldly scenes and beings that appear during his
voyages with Eboga. To render the ephemeral appearances of these beings
useful as a guide in life was and still is, an enormous challenge for Lee
and for anyone willing to go beyond the barren ground of “modern
 psychology.” It is an endeavor to give birth to a new language to encompass
the vast origin of the psyche as opposed to scientific endeavors to isolate
it out from the whole and analyze it as a separate entity. What language
allows us to reconcile the Logos with the deep, ineffable experiences of the
soul, our need for creativity and love, our “inner child,” as Lee calls it?
This book – and the books that follow – mark a departure for a new way to a
suffering humanity, integrating many old traditions with modern
psychological insight.

Karl Naeher M.A. D.C. (U.S.A.)

www.ibogainetreatment.com

June 2004

From: “Amazing Grace” by Lee Albert © 2004 All rights reserved.

Foreword by Lee Albert

Nothing remains the same.

Eboga has been known to the Pygmies of the Rift Valley for  more than 20,000
years and in the past 300 years it has played a central role in the Bwiti
religion of West Central Africa. It is a “deeply” spiritual plant. Its
spirit is carried by a serpent. This book refers to the use of the eboga
plant and, in particular, the principal alkaloid of this plant, ibogaine, in
what I call “The Eboga Process” (TM) or, simply put, “The Process.” The
“Session” is at the heart of the Process.
Eboga is not a Bwiti religion, nor is it a Pygmy religion. Eboga is an
“African Spirituality,” which means it draws its energy and resources from
the cradle of human life, Africa. “Eboga Spirituality” in a Western context
expresses itself in a deepening respect for the Earth, the community, the
ancestors, one’s parents and, in particular, oneself and one’s family. Eboga
is the circle of life that brings you directly in contact with your heart,
your soul and the ones you love. It is a way to God.
The purpose of Eboga spirituality is not about being “holier than thou” nor
is it about blind faith. It is about being “real” and in that reality
discover and connect to one’s place within the greater scheme of things,
drawing one’s source from a higher consciousness. Throughout the book I make
reference to eboga and Eboga. The first usage refers to the plant itself.
The second usage refers to its spirituality.
Eboga can also be thought of as an African natural healing medicine. In that
sense Eboga is a dynamic healing system dependent on the innermost state of
the individual, i.e., its actions cannot be predicted other than in a
general way. With time it mends and heals each broken part, finally
polishing the whole. It leads to emotional health and physical well-being
and a profound connection to life and God in an ever connecting continuum
which brings us deeply into our soul. Needless to say, it is also a teaching
plant.
Eboga can also be described as a non-addiction therapy.
An Eboga experience initially targets the physical addictions of the body
and arrives naturally at the subconscious where all that we seek to avoid,
expressed in our addictions, is revealed and healed in time. This however
requires the unseating of the ego as the ego blocks our true state of mind –
see later, The Eboga Process, chapter 1. This opens the door to what lies
repressed and the healing begins. The success of the healing depends on the
power of Eboga (expressed in dosage) and the willingness of the person to
confront their true self. This willingness is manifested through intention.
Thus, when one is ready, little by little Eboga shows us each wound, having
used its power to free it from a trapped state. At the same time a release
of the trapped emotional and spiritual toxins linked to the wound takes
place. Eboga then helps us understand the meaning of the wound (which has
been partly or fully exposed) before it cleans and dresses it, i.e.,
envelops it in an emotional bandage. The rest is left to mother nature, time
and divine coincidence to bring about the associated emotional connection
and mental acceptance we normally experience in the final stages of healing.
Like a flesh wound, an emotional wound needs time once it has been treated
by Eboga, i.e., a period of integration is required.
The next phase within an Eboga session involves the reeducation of the ego
to a more holistic way of thinking. Afterwards, in this new state, with the
passage of time and right intention, the ego shifts it allegiance from a
purely animalistic relationship to the material world, to a relationship
with the soul and its alternate form of “gratification” – a state where our
true choices are made manifest, as these choices are the choices of the true
mind, the soul. Eboga thus liberates the soul and aligns the ego to its
wishes. Without this alignment we inevitably become corrupted by power and
money as that is the way of the purely animalistic mind that seeks to avoid
a troubled soul.
Ibogaine, the principal alkaloid of the eboga plant is, I believe,
synonymous with eboga as it is the principal and, to my mind, “the” healing
component of the eboga plant. I believe that is how it was meant to be in
order that it could play a major role in this stage of man’s evolution
within a Western scientific model. More recently ibogaine has been
recognized for its properties in the elimination of physical drug
dependence. This is only a drop in the pond of its history, as its deeper
meaning is not yet properly understood here in the West. The focus on drug
addiction and the preoccupation with the safety of ibogaine means that its
full spiritual life cycle and action, i.e., the Process, are not properly
understood. The reason for this is that complete healing requires an ongoing
Process that, in my case, has lasted for nearly six years, with the end or,
should I say, the beginning now very clearly in sight. The ibogaine drug
treatment community is mostly preoccupied with the starting posts. I have
personally gone to the far reaches of the Eboga experience. My writings are
focused on this second part, while paying tribute to the worthwhile and
extremely important work done within the drug community in understanding the
safety aspects of the first part.
My writings are therefore written within the context of safe, present-day
use of ibogaine within the Process, following the medical guidelines as
developed over the past number of years. (These guidelines are based on
ibogaine, which is a major reason why I chose to work with eboga in this
form only.)  My use of ibogaine in this regard has been and is based on
personal decision and responsible action. Anyone considering its use must
also act in this way. Ultimately it is a personal decision and the
responsibility begins and ends there. My perspective has been to interpret
my experiences firsthand from the viewpoint of a rational Western scientist
open to all possibilities. I see no reason whatsoever to introduce a lot of
religious doctrine and regulations that do nothing but confuse the person
undergoing treatment. It is a journey to the heart and there you will find
everything you need to know. What counts is that your heart is renewed,
healed and in harmony with the One, the All.
Eboga is probably the most sacred substance known to man. Ibogaine, its
principle alkaloid, is a humble salt that, like all things humble, contains
greatness. I have nothing but respect for it. I believe that, once the fuss
over the use of ibogaine for the treatment of drug addiction passes, it will
finally be seen for what it is, a sacred sacrament for man’s benefit on his
path to self and union with all. For this reason I hope in time, people will
come forward, who have been healed by Eboga, to administer it without
seeking payment – gifts being acceptable. The real payment belongs to the
spiritual entities that help us and the person taking the eboga.
For this reason it is my fervent wish to shed light on the intensely
spiritual nature of the Process, which is not a recreation but a spiritually
guided process of personal transformation. My understanding has not been
built on any religious framework and has been driven solely by my desire for
wholeness and happiness, my quest for the Holy Grail. I have not
investigated the religious nature of Eboga as practiced in Africa. I have
simply explored the Process as it applied to me. In this way I hope to bring
a fresh, new perspective to the spiritual use of  eboga and ibogaine,
leading to what I call “The Eboga Process towards Personal Transformation,”
i.e. the Eboga Process. I wish to expand the real meaning of the Process to
open the door to those who seek its healing and spiritual powers and as yet
are not aware they exist. Because of this I do not identify myself with the
ibogaine community, as its aims and many of its ideas do not accord with my
own. I identify with a different and what I see as an emerging agenda of
real personal liberation and full self-actualization. I have no doubt that
this is possible if the attitude and intention of the seeker are true. In
this regard the Grail myth has a lot to teach us if we have ears to listen.
Thus, this book has not been written to promote ibogaine use as such. It
just so happens that ibogaine is integral to the Process; but no one should
be in the Process unless they really seek it out. Tourists are usually
suffered, but most likely ignored, i.e., intention is the main engine for
change in the Process – without it, change is unlikely. Clearly, under no
circumstances should anyone undergo the Process who is not accompanied by a
knowledgeable guide whose role it is to ensure the user’s safety and
comfort, nothing more, nothing less. If taken incorrectly, it can lead to
death. If taken correctly, it can lead to a new destination in life in the
same way a modern airplane takes many to new and unexplored places.
To say, as one critic has who warned against publication of my work, that
ibogaine is an experimental medication used to treat drug addiction and that
the author is advising its use for a purpose other than its originally
intended use, is very misleading. Its actual use (in the form of the whole
eboga plant, of which it is the main constituent) for more than 20,000 years
among the Pygmies and the last 300 years among the Bwiti of West Central
Africa, is for spiritual renewal and initiation. Its recent use in the past
30 years in the West has been simply an awareness of the fact that it could
also cure drug addiction.
The same critic also says my book may encourage the recreational drug use of
ibogaine. In light of what I have written, I take this criticism to be
uninformed and thus reactionary. How can a substance that causes an
elimination of the desire to take drugs encourage drug use itself? Have the
scientists got something wrong? I am surprised this critic did not see the
irony in this statement; or was this critic threatened by what my writings
revealed?
For the record: I write this book as I am entitled to write about my
experiences in any democratic society. I have the vote (for what its worth)
and simply seek to share my experiences to add to the human body of
knowledge. In no way, shape, or form do I seek to encourage the recreational
use of ibogaine. In fact, the words “recreational” and “ibogaine” are polar
opposites and anyone who carefully reads my experience will draw the same
conclusion. It is an intense encounter with oneself and one’s demons and not
the kind of experience recreational drug users seek. Recreational drug users
seek to avoid their past, not to face it. Ibogaine is of no “earthly” use to
them in that pursuit. Ibogaine, with its inherent risks, has no place on
anyone’s list of recreational drugs. If someone decides to run out and take
eboga or ibogaine I do not accept responsibility for the outcome.
Information about ibogaine has long been available within the drug
community. This is simply my story and my understanding. What anyone chooses
to do is ultimately their responsibility. Laziness is not an excuse for
being misinformed.
In this regard, however, it is accepted by many that ibogaine is relatively
safe once the guidelines are followed. It is very powerful and thus, like
anything powerful, if handled incorrectly, can be very dangerous, in fact
lethal. Like all substances, there are specific conditions for its use.
These conditions have been outlined on the principal Web site for drug
addiction treatment, www.ibogaine.org, where a comprehensive manual is
available, mostly designed for the treatment of drug addiction. There are
also specific dose ranges and specific preconditions for its use. The most
important of which is to be of sound heart and relatively good health (good
liver function), as the experience is physically demanding, i.e., not
everyone is physically capable of taking it. It also causes a lowering of
blood pressure. Ironically, from the spiritual viewpoint of its use, which
my writings are mostly concerned with, the best results are also obtained
with those of sound heart but in the emotional sense. Given that it is a
totally internal experience, these guidelines are equally valid for
spiritual use as they simply seek to ensure the safety of the user.
In time, I hope to record my growing understanding of the subject of eboga,
spirituality and healing, for which I have created the trademark “The Eboga
Process” (TM) to protect its integrity, into its own book. For now I have
included a number of the principles of the Eboga Process in the latter part
of this book and refer to “The Process” throughout. I have also included the
corresponding safety information. However, conscious of the reactionary
criticism I have received, I have decided at this stage to leave out my
recommendations regarding actual dosage. In any case, this information
simply seeks to enhance the understanding of the factors involved and should
not to be considered as a do-it-yourself self-help guide. An experienced
facilitator is highly recommended, if not vital.
As my healing has deepened, my eyes have opened and I intend to write about
what I have learned on each stage of my journey toward wholeness, the stages
of healing, my understanding of pain and finally the real possibility of
everlasting joy and peace, the Holy Grail. You could say I have become an
investigative healing journalist who has actually experienced real, deep and
tangible healing, much like a journalist recounts the effects and stages of
war and peace, having been there.
You may ask yourself why I did not undergo this process many years earlier.
The answer is two-fold. Firstly, I did not know about it. Secondly, I have
always had a fear of mind-altering substances and chemicals in my body. I
rarely take pharmaceuticals. I see such things as poison to the body. I
never take aspirin. I see cigarettes as the devil’s own invention. I also
have a keen interest in fitness and well-being. But I guess the real reason
is that I had my path to follow and, if I was not aware of it, my soul was.
I would not know what I now know had I not needed to take eboga in order to
save my own life. If what I now know saves the lives of others, then what I
went through will have been worth it.
The Process will draw interest from genuine spiritual seekers and from the
countless millions suffering from trauma and pain. If handled correctly and
in the right frame of mind, it can go all the way to advancing one’s
spirituality (grounded in one’s sexuality) and lead to a complete remission
of psychological trauma.
We are on the edge of a great shift of consciousness. The Eboga Process is
but one way. There are others. The end point of such a journey is a mending
of the split between our nature and our spirit,  the return of the divine
feminine, which is the quest for the Holy Grail.

Lee Albert M.Sc.

Corpus Christi 2004

www.myeboga.com

From: “Amazing Grace” by Lee Albert © 2004 All rights reserved.

Front Flap

“Eboga Spirituality” in a Western context expresses itself in a deepening
respect for the earth, the community, the ancestors, ones parents and in
particular oneself and ones family. Eboga is the circle of life that brings
you directly in contact with your heart, your soul, and the ones you love.
It draws its energy and resources from the cradle of life and is therefore
an African spirituality. It is a way to God. It’s spirit is carried by a
serpent.

Back Flap

The journey to wholeness is the development of perfect harmony between
nature and spirit. Man’s perfected nature is an intelligent and
compassionate being which acts holistically when it is in perfect balance
with its spirit. That is the Holy Grail Quest and it requires that the
individual have faith in their own life experience. Hence, the Western world
’s accent on the individual is probably the greatest and most important
hallmark of  Western culture today.

Text for back cover:

“He was chosen meekly to die an inner death but had one gift hidden in his
meek voice, the gift of editing to starkness the quest that had entombed his
captured soul. Now the world can hear this child’s plea as he brings to life
the Holy Grail Quest.”

Born into a culture of sexual ignorance and denial, he is unable to realize
his deepest dreams due to inexplicable fears and a deep sense of shame. His
life however is held together by a sense of the divine experience, born from
a love of singing. He is driven to succeed and travels through 36 countries
over 21 years. Eventually realizing he is a captive prisoner he turns for
help to a little know African plant. He then watches in horror as his soul
releases itself and begins a journey of reclamation.

We see through the author’s naked self the underlying factors which give
rise to modern Ireland as he struggles and ultimately succeeds to free
himself from their chains - the Irish psyche and its history are laid bare.

This, the first of three books, paves the way for an eclectic look at
spirituality in the modern world in the context of African Spirituality,
Western History and the banished Child within and offers a powerfully
effective “old” way adapted to the 21st century to heal the hurt and pain
that lies in all of us.

From: “Amazing Grace” by Lee Albert © 2004 All rights reserved.

About The Author

In a relentless search for freedom from lifelong problems and a burning
desire to realize his dreams he spent 2 years in an Irish seminary,
underwent intensive Primal Therapy, trained as a Emotional Release
facilitator, explored the thoughts of Krisnamurti and finally in desperation
forsook all belief.

He has an M.Sc. in Chemistry and is a qualified Systems Engineer and trained
Windsurfing Instructor. He has lived, and traveled, through 36 countries and
worked as a teacher in Africa. He completed his search through what he calls
“The Eboga Process,” (TM) and embarked on a miraculous journey of
self-discovery and reconnection to his inner self.

His interest now lies in the way to confront personal past history leading
to self-discovery, happiness, fulfillment and one's own immortality.

Links:

Purchase direct from publisher or via my web site 30% cheaper than normal
outlets:

www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=20623

www.myeboga.com/amazing grace.html

IBSN Numbers:

Paperback ISBN: 1-4184-0288-5     $14.50   direct publisher   (Amazon et al.
$19.95)
Hardback ISBN: 1-4184-0287-7      $21.75   direct publisher   (Amazon et al.
$31.00)
e-book ISBN: 1-4184-0289-3 	       $5.95   direct publisher
Library of Congress Catalog (LCC) Number: 2004090199   (ordering via library
in U.S.)