[ibogaine] Ibogaine Patients' Bill of Rights

HSLotsof at aol.com HSLotsof at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 20:48:06 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/3/04 6:42:41 PM, Sapphirestardus at aol.com writes:

>Howard, could you tell me what type of rights may have been violated (as
>an example) to have necessitated instituting a bill of......? I mean even
>when there are no violations one should have a bill posted and followed but
>I can't imagine what kind of complaints may have manifested from sessions.
Not
>enough Ibogaine? Too much nausea that the guide did not eradicate completely?
>Poor Quality?

Julian,

The only patient right that may have been violated is the right to be fully
informed as to risks and benefits.  However, please not that the Patients Bill
of Rights also includes patient responsibilities that I think are more often
violated on the part of some patients than their rights by ibogaine providers.

For four years now since recovering from leukemia I have viewed the work with
ibogaine to see of there was anything more I could do for it other than
providing its discovery.  Some of my work has been to consult to just about ever
yone who is providing ibogaine therapy.  But, that work except for specific
requests is principally done.  What was not done is what I believe I have now
accomplished, to establish a source that patients can access to understand their
rights as ibogaine patients and a process by which they can file grievances if
those rights are violated.

The Ibogaine Patients' Bill of Rights is not set in stone and may be amended
which is one of the reasons I posted it to this list.  The principal reason
for the Patients' Bill of Rights is to inform patients that they do have rights.
 When methadone maintenance was first established by Drs. Dole and Nyswander,
there were virtually no patient abuses.  However, as methadone maintenance
expanded patient abuses became pandemic.  Based on my experience in methadone
patient and cancer patient advocacy I perceived the best time to eliminate abuse
was at the beginning before a pattern of abuse might develop.

The grievance procedure gives us the ability to track abuses if they begin to
become evident.  My perception is that if there is a mechanism in place to
track abuses then those abuses will be less likely to occur.

The Ibogaine Patients' Bill of Rights and the associated grievance procedure
were developed to give ibogaine patients a sense of comfort, not to make them
more concerned.  The Bill of Rights provides knowledge as to ethical
principals that have come to be accepted in the practice of medicine and the treatment
of patients.

http://www.doraweiner.org/bill_of_rights.html

http://www.doraweiner.org/incident.html

Hope that helps.