seeking submissions/political potheads

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Sat Oct 18 12:27:07 EDT 2003

Hey all, Please excuse the cross posting here, but I'd like as many people
on this particular lists to see this note.
(see halfway down message for my "seeking submissions"  notice please)
    First of all,
    Thanks to Tim Meehan not only for posting his links to the Boston Globe
series of drug war stories, (see below for those links) but also for all his
hard work, and for giving me a lot of information and some well-stated
quotes for my most recent HT article.
    That out of the way, I found the following drug war related article at
Boston Globe also, and it reminded me of one of the articles already
submitted to the anthology I'm currently editing for Disinformation Company,
"Under the Influence- the Disinformation Guide to Drugs" (due out in Fall
2004- I know, totally shameless plug), an article by former High Times
senior editor Steven Wishnia titled, "Marijuana Will Never Be Legal as Long
as Most Pot-Smokers Are Apathetic Airheads."

The first two paragraphs of his article begin like this:

>It was only one of the 735,000 pot busts in the United States in 2000, one
of 66 that afternoon on Boston Common. The handcuffed kid, a scrawny,
stringy-haired youth of about 17, struggled to walk down the hill, hustled
and shoved by the undercover cop who'd caught him puffing a joint. A crowd
of about 50 angry protesters followed, chanting "ass-hole, ass-hole" in
singsong, like Fenway Park fans booing a Yankee beanball pitcher, and
throwing plastic bottles at the cop, a balding, beefy white guy
unconvincingly disguised in a Baja surfer hoodie with a yellow headshop
sticker over his gut. Reinforcements rushed up to fend them off, and the kid
was locked up in the makeshift holding tank at the edge of the park, along
with the rest of the day's prisoners.
What is telling is what happened next, when two young men accosted a
marijuana-magazine reporter. Did they want to know what the confrontation
was about? This, after all, was the annual Boston Freedom Rally, the
second-largest pot-legalization demonstration in the country. No. They
wanted to find out "where anyone's selling any glass pieces, man?"<

Wishnia's point is that while there are 40 million + pot smokers and users
in this country, there are far too few who are willing to go out and work
for changing the laws or barring that even addmitting to their use. And
while I know a lot of smokers and users who are potlicically active, I don't
know 40 million who are, I only know a few score as friends, and have met
maybe a hundred or three tops who while not personal friends are active in
the movement to change the laws. On the reverse side, I even have met
smokers who are racist bigots (damnit, pot smoking doesn't open up all minds
unfortunately) who have told me the laws are fine as they are (why would the
government lie, one guy related to my girlfriend asked me in all seriousness
a couple of years ago, saying there must be something to the pot laws and
purported pot dangers for the feds to go to such lengths to enforce the
anti-pot laws for so long, and besides, not all people can handle their
"drugs" -meaning in his mind those darker and poorer types who use pot- much
to my chagrin having just shared a bowl of fine Strawberry with the guy).
    So I just wanted to bring this up, as I was reminded of Wishnia's
article and the points he makes when reading the Boston Globe article
snipped and linked below. It's true- so long as pot smokers feel they aren't
really in all that much danger, that they don't really need to make their
voices heard and can afford to vegout in front of their tvs playing
videogames and keeping their use secret, things will never change. I'm most
certainly NOT advocating outting people- I t hink that is wrong in my
opinion, but I seriously regret the fear and lack of drive on the part of so
many pot users.
    For all the good I myself feel magazines like HT and CC do, admittedly
they tend to preach to the converted, and even they can't seem to get most
of those converts to do much more than get stoned and look at pretty
pictures, content, with the run of the mill readers even seemingly enjoying
the thrill of being minor outlaws by their illicit pot use.
     How in the heck can we get more of these apathtic stoner types to at
least make an effort at getting to the polls, beyond what we're doing now?
--------

On another note- I'm accepting article submissions for the aforementioned
anthology I'm editing, so I'd love to read anything anyone is interested in
submitting they'd like me to consider for publication. I will have to be a
genuine stickler for what I accept, as this book is going to be a very
important addition to the debate about drugs, drug policies and attitudes
towards drugs in the 21st Century, and I will accept only the very best
writing. That said, I'm willing and eager to read anything anyone would like
to submit but making absolutely no promises on actually publishing it. This
book will be published not only in the US, but in Canada, Australia and the
UK too, and possibly other countries after translations as well.
    As my pitch letter states:

 The aim of this book is to illustrate why drugs are pertinent in the 21st
Century. How did we get where we are in terms of drugs policies and
perceptions? Where are we going, and what are some of the many routes we can
take to get there concerning how we deal with drugs and users of all kinds?
Why do people take or not take drugs?
    I'm seeking articles on all areas concerning drugs, legal and non-legal.
I want articles about pharmaceuticals, speeds, hallucinogens and ethneogens,
cocaine and heroin, prohibition, anti-prohibition, laws and reform efforts,
the hypocrisy of the US conducting overt and covert actions against other
countries for their drug production but never entertaining the thought of
allowing other countries to do likewise against our numerous tobacco fields,
etc. I definitely do not want personal anecdotal works. NO stories about how
"I got high and went swimming naked under the moon at the beach" kinds of
work. I want serious essays and articles about all topics related to drugs.
    I already have a bevy of top-notch people contributing work, including
Jacob Sullum, Mike Gray, Paul Krassner, our own Erin Hildebrandt, Cynthia
Cotts, Dr. Stan Grof, Wishnia, Bill Weinberg, Russ Kick, Jim Hogshire, Lonny
Shavelson, Eric Sterling, and many more.

Send any submissions to me at:

ptpeet at nyc.rr.com

Please be sure to put "submission" in the subject heading. For those who are
already working on articles, I hope everything is going well and I'm looking
forward to seeing your work.

    For those unfamiliar with the Disinformation Company's work so far, one
of their recently published writers Janine Roberts, was on Washington
Journal for nearly an hour last weekend or the weekend before actually,
discussing her book "Glitter and Greed," about the diamond trade, and you
can see some links to previous Disinformation Company books below. Then be
sure to check out Tim Meehan's links too for those who've not yet seen
them..

Some previous books from Disinformation Company

http://www.drugwar.com/pYABLTexcerpts.shtm
You Are Being Lied To
The Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion,
Historical Whitewashes and Cultural Myths

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971394202/ref%3Ded%5Fart%5F415041%5Fri%5F6/202-9962533-4923057
Everything You Know Is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets & Lies

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971394245/qid%3D1049095386/sr%3D1-3/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F3%5F3/202-9962533-4923057
Abuse Your Illusions: The Disinformation Guide to Media Mirages and
Establishment Lies
------
Tim Meehan's message supplying links-

I see all of these have been hawked and are in the queue, but I thought I'd
pass them on.

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/out_there/documents/03237110.asp

Up in smoke
Why marijuana users are unlikely to lead the next, uh, political revolution
BY STEVE ALMOND
Just how I wound up at the Hemp Festival last month is not something I want
to get into, at least not without my attorney present. But I do want to make
a few observations about the general state of the marijuana-smoking
community, of which I am a proud (and, if I may add, medically necessitated)
member.
But before I get into all that, I'd like to share a few warm memories of my
afternoon....But I must say that the fact that I couldn't buy at pipe at the
Hemp Festival did underscore one disturbing truth about the larger stoner
community: we are not exactly an imposing political force.
snip-
---
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/top/features/documents/03237100.asp
Behind closed doors
What really went on at the Office of National Drug Control Policy's Summit
of
New England Governors
BY CAMILLE DODERO
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/editorial/documents/03237111.asp
Reefer madness, redux
The war on drugs destroys lives but does nothing to mitigate the abuse of
drugs
in this country

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/documents/03237095.asp
Snake-oil salesmen
Why does the Bush administration seem so intent on denying medical marijuana
adults in extreme discomfort?
BY KRISTEN LOMBARDI

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/documents/03237103.asp
Baby talk
Our top officials warn of predators seeking to addict our children to drugs,
but
it's the adult users we should be worrying about
BY DAVID S. BERNSTEIN
-Tim