gagging on ibo

adam gur adamg at 013.net.il
Thu Nov 6 09:30:11 EST 2003

Hiya all,

I recently obtained some rootbark and while I asked this on the calyx list a while ago, I'm going to ask again; anyone out there with a good recepy for ibo..? I tried about half a teaspoon of it, it's tough as nails and I smashed it up and all, but it felt like shards of glass going down... So another question is, any chance that soaking it in water for 2-3 hours prior to taking it could be a bad idea...? I'm pretty sure that water won't ruin it, but no harm in asking....

Grinding the root or the bark into powder is not a good idea- it coats the mouth and throat and can drive you nuts in that respect- but then again, that's the fresh stuff we're talking about....

Also, does anyone know anything about the brew used by the Bwiti, they call it 'automatique' - I'd like to try and brew some up, so any guidelines, as for brewing time, ratio, anything really, would be greatly appreciated...

I can say this about the rootbark- it's nothing like what I had in Africa, which really is great news. You can chew on it for a while and nothing, it's like chewing on wood. But then a friend of mine wanted to to taste it and he kept chewing this little piece, about the size of a chicklet, and after five minutes at it, it did go nasty on him and an hour later he was still trying to wash away the bitterness.... I believe that what I had in africa was rather fresh and I also know that they add some of the leaves to the mix, so it's hard to tell what exactly was so aweful about it- the leafage or the fresh root or the combination, but this dry rootbark is a walk in the park... I'll be posting more once I take a full dose...

Btw, about that half teaspoon I took, well, as expected I didn't feel a thing, except that 2 days later a couple/friends of mine show up with a homegrown bud and next thing I know, the iboga kicked in. It was as though I could pick up on it because of the weed but it was also surprisingly strong, like my eyesight improved drastically, I felt this clearness in thought and in emotion, and besides this one moment where I was apprehensive as to how far this would go, everything was more than fine. -- I'm not advocating combining the two, in fact, I had a horrible brain-like seizure 2-3 years ago (see?) this was a day after taking a small dose of indra (no puking, apparently laughed a lot) and about 2 minutes after lighting up a joint- I'm serious here, it was like a cold sizzling scan-like effect that started around my forehead and worked it's way towards the back, lasting maybe 30 seconds or so, and when it was over I was dead sober and I swear I felt chided by iboga- so you won't catch me doing that again....

cheers,
Adam