[ibogaine] Support

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 3 14:56:10 EST 2003

On Sunday, 02 November 2003 5:54 PM -0700,
gary thomas <thomaspi at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I was writing for advice from those who have experienced the power of
> addiction.  For the past couple of years I have tried to help a close
> friend fight her addiction of crack.  It just seems I have tried harder
> than she has.  I have experience the "give me one more chance" to many
> times.  My questions would be,  when should I let her go,  and let happen
> what may.  Thanks Gary

It totally depends on you. I am speaking as an addict, though I have not
used my substance of choice for quite some time and I shun traditional
treatments, though I will not tell someone with similar problems to
necessarily choose my path. Different treatments work better for different
people, and for some people there is nothing that will help but time, if
even that. The best advice in a nutshell I could give you is don't let
yourself be manipulated, and act out of love, even if it means that you have
to sever your relationship in order to save it (or your own sanity). But the
one thing you must remember more than anything is that you cannot decide for
this person what to do next, but you can decide what you will do next. You
can set conditions where the relationship would work for you, and if the
conditions aren't met within an agreed timeframe, then you have every right
to let this person go - some people would say at that point you have the
responsibility to let this person go, as continuing to make agreements which
are later broken isn't helping, and you aren't sticking to your word. Stick
to your word, no matter how much it hurts, because she can't stick to her
words.

Good luck. It sucks, I know, though crack is something I always avoided, but
self-destructive behavior is common to many addicts.

- jt