[ibogaine] Re: AMON

AMON amon at wetnightmare.com
Sun Jun 29 11:09:06 EDT 2003

THANKyou to Allison and Curtis for expressing
condolences re.death of my son Chris. He worked for
Register.com , a povider of domanin names, and the
company generously agreed to keep his website,
amonworld.com in operation for the next ten years. A
friend of Chris's and colleague at Register will be
admininstering the site and provided me access to his
email account a couple of weeks ago. By then there were
over 350 postings and e-mails to sort through. I hope
that members of this list will check out his website,
which eventually will be updated with pictures of him,
his eulogy, stories, etc.
One of the saddest messages was from Daniel Pinchbeck.
Chris refers to his book on the website and it was from
reading the book Breaking OPEN THE HEAD, that convinced
him ibogaine was the way for him to go. Thus, he wrote
to Pinchbeck and on May 28, a month after Chris's
death, a reply inviting him to participate in a
film/documentary being produced in Mexico re. ibogaine
treatment- aftercare to be provided on a ranch in
California- all expenses paid-
Chris would have been thrilled at the opportunity- but
bad timing always seemed to be part of his life!
Anyway, a memorial fund has been established in his
name and it is my desire to use the money in a way that
would honor Chris and pay tribute to his memory. I
think somehow he is leading me to this whole ibogaine
experience, and perhaps there is a way I could help
someone in need of treatment. Chris was looking into
going to Vancouver to the iboga therapy house, in fact
was arranging for an Ekg. I won't continue with this
topic, but I too am very excited about all I have read
at ibogaine.org and sincerely want to further the cause
in any way I can.
thanks for providing this forum, his website can also
be accessed through wetnightmare. com- check it out and
sign the guestbook which has been added since his
death.   mother SueOn Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:12:27 +1200,
"Allison Senepart" wrote:

> From: "Allison Senepart" <aa.senepart at xtra.co.nz>
> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:12:27 +1200
> Subject: Re: [ibogaine] Re: AMON
> To: <ibogaine at mindvox.com>
>
> I just wanted to offer condolences to Amons Mum.  I
saw
> his messages here
> but had no idea he had died.  I don't know that any of
> this will make his
> Mum feel better but a lot of addicts don't set out
> intentionally to die.  I
> have a number of friends now that have overdosed or
> died accidentely while
> using drugs which is an incentive   that helps my
> partner and I try to fight
> to keep clean.  Its not easy and the temptation is
> always just around the
> corner but so far we are staying good for longer than
> we have done at any
> other time.  We have tried and failed so many times,
> had arguments, given
> up, been sick and everything else that goes with it.
> My daughter is now 22
> and is very anti hard drugs after having to live with
> my partner and I and I
> am certainly not proud to have introduced her to
things
> she should never
> have seen or been aware of.  All I can say is that its
> like one part of your
> mind is saying one thing and then another half is
> talking you into the
> opposite.  At times I was so determined not to do any
> more morphine, poppies
> etc. and then my partner would arrive home with
> something and I would start
> cramping in the stomach just anticipating it.  My
> parents were horribly
> upset when they figured out what I was doing.  I
> managed to hide it for a
> while but eventually everything feel to bits.  I would
> turn up to visit and
> nod off in the middle of a conversation and I guess it
> was all too obvious.
> They wanted to help me but I wouldn't let them.  My
> answer was to keep
> telling them everything was under control cos I didn't
> want them to be
> disappointed in me and also didn'twant to admit how
> desperate and sick I was
> when I needed a fix to get to work and function for
the
> day.
> I wish Amons mum all the best and hope that she will
> find some understanding
> from people on this list.
> Regards Allison.   PS  It all sounds so inadequate but
> my thoughts are there
> even if though the words are hard to write.

but
> > I would like anybody who might have communicated
with
> > Amon to know that on April 26, he died suddenly. The
> > cause of death is still being investigated, but he
was
> > in the company of drug dealers at the time. I am his
> > mother and would appreciate hearing from anyone who
> has
> > insights or previous messages from him, as I mourn
his
> > death and try to understand his pain. I know he was
> > trying desperately in his last two months to find
help
> > for his addiction. My agony is that I was not able
> > help him in time. If anyone out there can help me
with

<ibogaine-return-4688-nodoff=wetnightmare.com at mindvox.com>

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/22/magazine/22SAVANT.html

> > > June 22, 2003
> > > Savant for a Day
> > > By LAWRENCE OSBORNE
> > >

> > > n a concrete basement at the University of
Sydney, I
> > > sat in a chair waiting
> > > have my brain altered by an electromagnetic pulse.
> My
> > > forehead was
> > > connected, by
> > > a series of electrodes, to a machine that looked
> > > something like an
> > > old-fashioned
> > > beauty-salon hair dryer and was sunnily described
> > me
> > > as a ''Danish-made
> > > transcranial magnetic stimulator.'' This was not
> just
> > > any old Danish-made
> > > transcranial magnetic stimulator, however; this
was
> > the
> > > Medtronic Mag Pro,
> > > and
> > > it was being operated by Allan Snyder, one of the
> > > world's most remarkable
> > > scientists of human cognition.
> > >
> > > Nonetheless, the anticipation of electricity being
> > > beamed into my frontal
> > > lobes
> > > (and the consent form I had just signed) made me a
> bit
> > > nervous. Snyder found
> > > that amusing. ''Oh, relax now!'' he said in the
> thick
> > > local accent he has
> > > acquired since moving here from America. ''I've
done
> > it
> > > on myself a hundred
> > > times. This is Australia. Legally, it's far more
> > > difficult to damage people
> > > in
> > > Australia than it is in the United States.''
> > >
> > > ''Damage?'' I groaned.
> > >
> > > ''You're not going to be damaged,'' he said.
> ''You're
> > > going to be
> > > enhanced.''
> > >
> > > The Medtronic was originally developed as a tool
for
> > > brain surgery: by
> > > stimulating or slowing down specific regions of
the
> > > brain, it allowed
> > > doctors to
> > > monitor the effects of surgery in real time. But
it
> > > also produced, they
> > > noted,
> > > strange and unexpected effects on patients' mental
> > > functions: one minute
> > > they
> > > would lose the ability to speak, another minute
they
> > > would speak easily but
> > > would make odd linguistic errors and so on. A
number
> > of
> > > researchers started
> > > look into the possibilities, but one in particular
> > > intrigued Snyder: that
> > > people
> > > undergoing transcranial magnetic stimulation, or
> TMS,
> > > could suddenly exhibit
> > > savant intelligence -- those isolated pockets of
> > > geniuslike mental ability
> > > that
> > > most often appear in autistic people.
> > >
> > > Snyder is an impish presence, the very opposite
of a
> > > venerable professor,
> > > let
> > > alone an internationally acclaimed scientist.
There
> is
> > > a whiff of Woody
> > > Allen
> > > about him. Did I really want him, I couldn't help
> > > thinking, rewiring my hard
> > > drive? ''We're not changing your brain
physically,''
> > he
> > > assured me. ''You'll
> > > only experience differences in your thought
> processes
> > > while you're actually
> > > on
> > > the machine.'' His assistant made a few final
> > > adjustments to the electrodes,
> > > and
> > > then, as everyone stood back, Snyder flicked the
> > switch.
> > >
> > > A series of electromagnetic pulses were being
> directed
> > > into my frontal
> > > lobes,
> > > but I felt nothing. Snyder instructed me to draw
> > > something. ''What would you
> > > like to draw?'' he said merrily. ''A cat? You like
> > > drawing cats? Cats it
> > > is.''
> > >
> > > I've seen a million cats in my life, so when I
close
> > my
> > > eyes, I have no
> > > trouble
> > > picturing them. But what does a cat really look
> like,
> > > and how do you put it
> > > down
> > > on paper? I gave it a try but came up with some
sort
> > of
> > > stick figure,
> > > perhaps an
> > > insect.
> > >
> > > While I drew, Snyder continued his lecture. ''You
> > could
> > > call this a
> > > creativity-amplifying machine. It's a way of
> altering
> > > our states of mind
> > > without
> > > taking drugs like mescaline. You can make people
see
> > > the raw data of the
> > > world
> > > as it is. As it is actually represented in the
> > > unconscious mind of all of
> > > us.''
> > >
> > > Two minutes after I started the first drawing, I
was
> > > instructed to try
> > > again.
> > > After another two minutes, I tried a third cat,
and
> > > then in due course a
> > > fourth.
> > > Then the experiment was over, and the electrodes
> were
> > > removed. I looked down
> > > at
> > > my work. The first felines were boxy and stiffly
> > > unconvincing. But after I
> > > had
> > > been subjected to about 10 minutes of transcranial
> > > magnetic stimulation,
> > > their
> > > tails had grown more vibrant, more nervous; their
> > faces
> > > were personable and
> > > convincing. They were even beginning to wear
clever
> > > expressions.
> > >
> > > I could hardly recognize them as my own drawings,
> > > though I had watched
> > > myself
> > > render each one, in all its loving detail. Somehow
> > over
> > > the course of a very
> > > few
> > > minutes, and with no additional instruction, I had
> > gone
> > > from an incompetent
> > > draftsman to a very impressive artist of the
feline
> > > form.
> > >
> > > Snyder looked over my shoulder. ''Well, how about
> > that?
> > > Leonardo would be
> > > envious.'' Or turning in his grave, I thought.
> > >

> > > As remarkable as the cat-drawing lesson was, it
was
> > > just a hint of Snyder's
> > > work
> > > and its implications for the study of cognition.
He
> > has
> > > used TMS dozens of
> > > times
> > > on university students, measuring its effect on
> their
> > > ability to draw, to
> > > proofread and to perform difficult mathematical
> > > functions like identifying
> > > prime
> > > numbers by sight. Hooked up to the machine, 40
> percent
> > > of test subjects
> > > exhibited extraordinary, and newfound, mental
> skills.
> > > That Snyder was able
> > > induce these remarkable feats in a controlled,
> > > repeatable experiment is more
> > > than just a great party trick; it's a breakthrough
> > that
> > > may lead to a
> > > revolution
> > > in the way we understand the limits of our own
> > > intelligence -- and the
> > > functioning of the human brain in general.
> > >
> > > Snyder's work began with a curiosity about autism.
> > > Though there is little
> > > consensus about what causes this baffling -- and
> > > increasingly common --
> > > disorder, it seems safe to say that autistic
people
> > > share certain qualities:
> > > they tend to be rigid, mechanical and emotionally
> > > dissociated. They manifest
> > > what autism's great ''discoverer,'' Leo Kanner,
> called
> > > ''an anxiously
> > > obsessive
> > > desire for the preservation of sameness.'' And
they
> > > tend to interpret
> > > information in a hyperliteral way, using ''a kind
of
> > > language which does not
> > > seem intended to serve interpersonal
> communication.''
> > >
> > > For example, Snyder says, when autistic test
> subjects
> > > came to see him at the
> > > university, they would often get lost in the main
> > quad.
> > > They might have been
> > > there 10 times before, but each time the shadows
> were
> > > in slightly different
> > > positions, and the difference overwhelmed their
> sense
> > > of place. ''They can't
> > > grasp a general concept equivalent to the word
> > > 'quad,''' he explains. ''If
> > > it
> > > changes appearance even slightly, then they have
> > > start all over again.''
> > >
> > > Despite these limitations, a small subset of
> > autistics,
> > > known as savants,
> > > can
> > > also perform superspecialized mental feats.
Perhaps
> > the
> > > most famous savant
> > > was
> > > Dustin Hoffman's character in ''Rain Man,'' who
> could
> > > count hundreds of
> > > matchsticks at a glance. But the truth has often
> been
> > > even stranger: one
> > > celebrated savant in turn-of-the-century Vienna
> could
> > > calculate the day of
> > > the
> > > week for every date since the birth of Christ.
Other
> > > savants can speak
> > > dozens of
> > > languages without formally studying any of them or
> can
> > > reproduce music at
> > > the
> > > piano after only a single hearing. A savant
studied
> by
> > > the English doctor J.
> > > Langdon Down in 1887 had memorized every page of
> > > Gibbon's ''Decline and Fall
> > > of
> > > the Roman Empire.'' At the beginning of the 19th
> > > century, the splendidly
> > > named
> > > Gottfried Mind became famous all over Europe for
the
> > > amazing pictures he
> > > drew of
> > > cats.
> > >
> > > The conventional wisdom has long been that
> autistics'
> > > hyperliteral thought
> > > processes were completely separate from the more
> > > contextual, nuanced, social
> > > way
> > > that most adults think, a different mental
function
> > > altogether. And so, by
> > > extension, the extraordinary skills of autistic
> > savants
> > > have been regarded
> > > as
> > > flukes, almost inhuman feats that average minds
> could
> > > never achieve.
> > >
> > > Snyder argues that all those assumptions -- about
> > > everything from the way
> > > autistic savants behave down to the basic brain
> > > functions that cause them to
> > > do
> > > so -- are mistaken. Autistic thought isn't wholly
> > > incompatible with ordinary
> > > thought, he says; it's just a variation on it, a
> more
> > > extreme example.
> > >
> > > He first got the idea after reading ''The Man Who
> > > Mistook His Wife for a
> > > Hat,''
> > > in which Oliver Sacks explores the link between
> autism
> > > and a very specific
> > > kind
> > > of brain damage. If neurological impairment is the
> > > cause of the autistic's
> > > disabilities, Snyder wondered, could it be the
cause
> > of
> > > their geniuslike
> > > abilities, too? By shutting down certain mental
> > > functions -- the capacity to
> > > think conceptually, categorically, contextually --
> did
> > > this impairment allow
> > > other mental functions to flourish? Could brain
> > damage,
> > > in short, actually
> > > make
> > > you brilliant?
> > >
> > > In a 1999 paper called ''Is Integer Arithmetic
> > > Fundamental to Mental
> > > Processing?
> > > The Mind's Secret Arithmetic,'' Snyder and D. John
> > > Mitchell considered the
> > > example of an autistic infant, whose mind ''is not
> > > concept driven. . . . In
> > > our
> > > view such a mind can tap into lower level details
> not
> > > readily available to
> > > introspection by normal individuals.'' These
> children,
> > > they wrote, seem ''to
> > > be
> > > aware of information in some raw or interim state
> > prior
> > > to it being formed
> > > into
> > > the 'ultimate picture.''' Most astonishing, they
> went
> > > on, ''the mental
> > > machinery
> > > for performing lightning fast integer arithmetic
> > > calculations could be
> > > within us
> > > all.''
> > >
> > > And so Snyder turned to TMS, in an attempt, as he
> > says,
> > > ''to enhance the
> > > brain
> > > by shutting off certain parts of it.''
> > >
> > > ''In a way, savants are the great enigma of
today's
> > > neurology,'' says Prof.
> > > Joy
> > > Hirsch, director of the Functional M.R.I. Research
> > > Center at Columbia
> > > University. ''They exist in all cultures and are a
> > > distinct type. Why? How?
> > > We
> > > don't know. Yet understanding the savant will help
> > > provide insight into the
> > > whole neurophysiological underpinning of human
> > > behavior. That's why Snyder's
> > > ideas are so exciting -- he's asking a really
> > > fundamental question, which no
> > > one
> > > has yet answered.''
> > >
> > > If Snyder's suspicions are correct, in fact, and
> > > savants have not more
> > > brainpower than the rest of us, but less, then
it's
> > > even possible that
> > > everybody
> > > starts out life as a savant. Look, for example, at
> the
> > > ease with which
> > > children
> > > master complex languages -- a mysterious skill
that
> > > seems to shut off
> > > automatically around the age of 12. ''What we're
> doing
> > > is
> > > counterintuitive,''
> > > Snyder tells me. ''We're saying that all these
> genius
> > > skills are easy,
> > > they're
> > > natural. Our brain does them naturally. Like
> walking.
> > > Do you know how
> > > difficult
> > > walking is? It's much more difficult than
drawing!''

> > > To prove his point, he hooks me up to the
Medtronic
> > Mag
> > > Pro again and asks
> > > me to
> > > read the following lines:
> > >

> > > A bird in the hand
> > > is worth two in the
> > > the bush
> > >
> > > ''A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,'' I
> > say.
> > >
> > > ''Again,'' Snyder says, and smiles.
> > >
> > > So once more: ''A bird in the hand is worth two in
> the
> > > bush.'' He makes me
> > > repeat it five or six times, slowing me down until
> he
> > > has me reading each
> > > word
> > > with aching slowness.
> > >
> > > Then he switches on the machine. He is trying to
> > > suppress those parts of my
> > > brain responsible for thinking contextually, for
> > making
> > > connections. Without
> > > them, I will be able to see things more as an
> autistic
> > > might.
> > >
> > > After five minutes of electric pulses, I read the
> card
> > > again. Only then do I
> > > see
> > > -- instantly -- that the card contains an extra
> > ''the.''
> > >
> > > On my own, I had been looking for patterns, trying
> > > coax the words on the
> > > page
> > > into a coherent, familiar whole. But ''on the
> > > machine,'' he says, ''you
> > > start
> > > seeing what's actually there, not what you think
is
> > > there.''
> > >
> > > Snyder's theories are bolstered by the documented
> > cases
> > > in which sudden
> > > brain
> > > damage has produced savant abilities almost
> overnight.
> > > He cites the case of
> > > Orlando Serrell, a 10-year-old street kid who was
> hit
> > > on the head and
> > > immediately began doing calendrical calculations
of
> > > baffling complexity.
> > > Snyder
> > > argues that we all have Serrell's powers. ''We
> > remember
> > > virtually
> > > everything,
> > > but we recall very little,'' Snyder explains.
''Now
> > > isn't that strange?
> > > Everything is in there'' -- he taps the side of
his
> > > head. ''Buried deep in
> > > all
> > > our brains are phenomenal abilities, which we lose
> for
> > > some reason as we
> > > develop
> > > into 'normal' conceptual creatures. But what if we
> > > could reawaken them?''
> > >

> > > Not all of Snyder's colleagues agree with his
> > theories.
> > > Michael Howe, an
> > > eminent
> > > psychologist at the University of Exeter in
Britain
> > who
> > > died last year,
> > > argued
> > > that savantism (and genius itself) was largely a
> > result
> > > of incessant
> > > practice
> > > and specialization. ''The main difference between
> > > experts and savants,'' he
> > > once
> > > told New Scientist magazine, ''is that savants do
> > > things which most of us
> > > couldn't be bothered to get good at.''
> > >
> > > Robert Hendren, executive director of the M.I.N.D.
> > > Institute at the
> > > University
> > > of California at Davis, brought that concept down
> > my
> > > level: ''If you drew
> > > 20
> > > cats one after the other, they'd probably get
better
> > > anyway.'' Like most
> > > neuroscientists, he doubts that an electromagnetic
> > > pulse can stimulate the
> > > brain
> > > into creativity: ''I'm not sure I see how TMS can
> > > actually alter the way
> > > your
> > > brain works. There's a chance that Snyder is
right.
> > But
> > > it's still very
> > > experimental.''
> > >
> > > Tomas Paus, an associate professor of neuroscience
> at
> > > McGill University, who
> > > has
> > > done extensive TMS research, is even more dubious.
> ''I
> > > don't believe TMS can
> > > ever elicit complex behavior,'' he says.
> > >
> > > But even skeptics like Hendren and Paus concede
that
> > by
> > > intensifying the
> > > neural
> > > activity of one part of the brain while slowing or
> > > shutting down others, TMS
> > > can
> > > have remarkable effects. One of its most
successful
> > > applications has been in
> > > the
> > > realm of psychiatry, where it is now used to
dispel
> > the
> > > ''inner voices'' of
> > > schizophrenics, or to combat clinical depression
> > > without the damaging side
> > > effects of electroshock therapy. (NeuroNetics, an
> > > Atlanta company, is
> > > developing
> > > a TMS machine designed for just this purpose,
which
> > > will probably be
> > > released in
> > > 2006, pending F.D.A. approval.)
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, researchers at the National Institute
of
> > > Neurological Disorders
> > > and
> > > Stroke found that TMS applied to the prefrontal
> cortex
> > > enabled subjects to
> > > solve
> > > geometric puzzles much more rapidly. Alvaro
> > > Pascual-Leone, associate
> > > professor
> > > of neurology at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical
> > > Center in Boston (who,
> > > through
> > > his work at the Laboratory for Magnetic Brain
> > > Stimulation, has been one of
> > > the
> > > American visionaries of TMS), has even suggested
> that
> > > TMS could be used to
> > > ''prep'' students' minds before lessons.
> > >
> > > None of this has gone unnoticed by canny
> entrepreneurs
> > > and visionary
> > > scientists.
> > > Last year, the Brain Stimulation Laboratory at the
> > > Medical University of
> > > South
> > > Carolina received a $2 million government grant to
> > > develop a smaller TMS
> > > device
> > > that sleep-deprived soldiers could wear to keep
them
> > > alert. ''It's not 'Star
> > > Trek' at all,'' says Ziad Nahas, the laboratory's
> > > medical director. ''We've
> > > done
> > > a lot of the science on reversing cognitive
> > > deficiencies in people with
> > > insomnia
> > > and sleep deficiencies. It works.'' If so, it
could
> be
> > > a small leap to the
> > > day
> > > it boosts soldiers' cognitive functioning under
> normal
> > > circumstances.
> > >
> > > And from there, how long before Americans are
> walking
> > > around with humming
> > > antidepression helmets and math-enhancing ''hair
> > > dryers'' on their heads?
> > > Will
> > > commercially available TMS machines be used to
turn
> > > prosaic bank managers
> > > into
> > > amateur Rembrandts? Snyder has even contemplated
> video
> > > games that harness
> > > specialized parts of the brain that are otherwise
> > > inaccessible.
> > >
> > > ''Anything is possible,'' says Prof. Vilayanur
> > > Ramachandran, director of the
> > > Center for Brain and Cognition at the University
of
> > > California at San Diego
> > > and
> > > the noted author of ''Phantoms in the Brain.''
> > Snyder's
> > > theories have not
> > > been
> > > proved, he allows, but they are brilliantly
> > suggestive:
> > > ''We're at the same
> > > stage in brain research that biology was in the
19th
> > > century. We know almost
> > > nothing about the mind. Snyder's theories may
sound
> > > like 'The X-Files,' but
> > > what
> > > he's saying is completely plausible. Up to a point
> the
> > > brain is open,
> > > malleable
> > > and constantly changing. We might well be able to
> make
> > > it run in new ways.''
> > > Of
> > > those who dismiss Snyder's theories out of hand,
he
> > > shrugs: ''People are
> > > often
> > > blind to new ideas. Especially scientists.''
> > >

> > > Bruce L. Miller, the A.W. and Mary Margaret
Claussen
> > > distinguished professor
> > > in
> > > neurology at the University of California at San
> > > Francisco, is intrigued by
> > > Snyder's experiments and his attempts to
understand
> > the
> > > physiological basis
> > > of
> > > cognition. But he points out that certain profound
> > > questions about
> > > artificially
> > > altered intelligence have not yet been answered.
> ''Do
> > > we really want these
> > > abilities?'' he asks. ''Wouldn't it change my idea
> of
> > > myself if I could
> > > suddenly
> > > paint amazing pictures?''
> > >
> > > It probably would change people's ideas of
> themselves,
> > > to say nothing of
> > > their
> > > ideas of artistic talent. And though that prospect
> > > might discomfort Miller,
> > > there are no doubt others whom it would thrill.
But
> > > could anyone really
> > > guess,
> > > in advance, how their lives might be affected by
> > > instant creativity, instant
> > > intelligence, instant happiness? Or by their
> > > disappearance, just as
> > > instantly,
> > > once the TMS is switched off?
> > >
> > > As he walked me out of the university -- a place
so
> > > Gothic that it could be
> > > Oxford, but for the intensely flowering jacaranda
in
> > > one corner and the
> > > strange
> > > Southern Hemisphere birds flitting about -- and
> toward
> > > the freeway back to
> > > downtown Sydney, Snyder for his part radiated the
> most
> > > convincingly
> > > ebullient
> > > optimism. ''Remember that old saw which says that
we
> > > only use a small part
> > > our
> > > brain? Well, it might just be true. Except that
now
> we
> > > can actually prove it
> > > physically and experimentally. That has to be
> > > significant. I mean, it has to
> > > be,
> > > doesn't it?''
> > >
> > > We stopped for a moment by the side of the roaring
> > > traffic and looked up at
> > > haze in the sky. Snyder's eyes contracted
> > inquisitively
> > > as he pieced
> > > together
> > > the unfamiliar facts (brown smoke, just outside
> > Sydney)
> > > and eased them into
> > > familiar narrative framework (the forest fires
that