[ibogaine] many questions

Nick Labus goosebumpz2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 11:57:47 EDT 2003

god yet another advocate i bet you theres atleast 100 people thinking of doing the ibogaine and getting off the scag but sare scared shittless i am and ill admit it im funkijn scared!i love dope i just rips yuor soul and  yor life apart i am wrighting this to kill sometime before im off to the met clinic and i dont know about your alls clinics but mine has  a built in drug market attached on all blockjs people constantly walking around not wispering not talking but yelling  "xanax,bottle,valium,blows and the like" so how can you even just stay on methadone when every other and for awhile every day goo ther eand go through the guantlet of drug dealers and pill pushers huh Well i am going to canada to do some Ibo. HCL. i have hep c  and you know what i hope this ibo helps me see wh i dont give a fuck peace out from the beutiful clean city of DETROIT!
Eaquinet at aol.com wrote:Hi, this is in response to "Otter" who wrote w/many questions.  I was treated w/ibogaine in March after being on methadone 120 mg./day for over 6 years.  I am also an R.N. with alot of experience in psychiatric care.  I also have suffered chronically from depression and severe anxiety.  So, here goes.:
   ** Ibogaine works; though I was only treated once I have been clean now for almost 3 months.  I do plan to be treated again sometime soon, though, and would advise anyone using methadone to plan on being treated at least twice in a short time period (days to a week or so) and then to maybe plan on either being treated again a few months later and/or taking "maintenance" doses of ibo daily for awhile afterwards.  I think that doing these things might have prevented the depression and anxiety I fell back into after returning home.
   ** I have found it necessary to continue my antidepressant and anti-anxiety  medication (Prozac now--was Wellbutrin--and Buspar) in order to stay stable; however, many other aspects of "help" have helped just as much or maybe more.  I have increased my participation and commitment in Buddhist study and practices---there is nothing, IMO, as helpful as Buddhist philosophy in countering chronic depression and anxiety.  It is like  powerful cognitive therapy combined with the existential meaning of a spiritual path.  It is SO therapeutic.....another book I'd highly recommend for anxious type people is "The Power of Now" by Eckhardt Tolle...I keep this book w/me everywhere for "instant relief" as needed.
     ** As for the methadone clinic, they can go to hell!!!!  Well, that's the way I used to think when I went to a clinic that required me to come in almost every day, even after 5 years of being the "best little patient" and treated me like the scum of the earth.  I transferred, almost a year before the ibo treatment, to a clinic in a nearby state...yes, I had to drive 2 hrs. but only once a month.  Yes, in ONE DAY of transferring the paperwork, I went from having to come in three times/week to coming in once a month.  So much for medical judgement on these things!!!??? It's SOOOOO arbitrary & so dependent on what state you're in.  And the staff at the new clinic were so professional and therapeutic..treated me as a medical patient, not a parolee.  I think that the clinics w/such restrictive rules get to wield so much power over their clients' lives that it completely goes to their heads (souls, too) and they become mean and cruel.   So, I'd recommend determining what type of
 clinic she's in (good or not)...if it's not, it's really not much to lose....REALLY.....if it's good, just tell them about ibogaine..give them some literature (you can get a pack of lit from Cures Not Wars), and ask them for a "medical leave of absence"...that you'll stay in touch w/them (or, your dtr will) and let them know asap if she needs to return.  But, PLAN ON NOT RETURNING!!!!!!!  I understand wanting to keep that little "ace in the hole" just in case, cause believe me I know, nothing's more horrible than contemplating methadone cold turkey on your own (I would kill myself first or rather I would NOT allow it to happen), but ASAP after the ibo...once she sees that it REALLY DID WORK....sever that clinic connection as fast as you can.  You don't want to have the option of going back.  OK, if it's a bad clinic, still don'[t plan on going back...cause she deserves better than that and better is out there.  Investigate ahead of time what an alternative might be (clinic in
 another city, state, etc.).  No matter what, take this opportunity to get out of a bad clinic before they destroy whatever self esteem she has left.
    ** And, have a plan for after the ibo treatment.  I had to return to work within the next week so didn't feel I really had a choice, BUT, if I could do it over, I'd arrange to be able to go somewhere therapeutic and structured for at least a couple weeks-month afterwards.  And not some judgemental, punitive 12-step place, but a real holistic, therapeutic environment.  There are some around.  Even going on a low-stress vacation to some beautiful place with people she loves would be better than nothing.  Just plan for something because for a few wks. after it's real hard to sleep and you've got alot of energy....it can drive you nuts if you don't do something productive and positive w/it.

Hope this helps.  Let me/us know if you've got any other concerns.  Eliana
ps:  you can see parts of my ibo treatment if you go to Marc's POT-TV website and click on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC) show on ibogaine.