[ibogaine] unbiased ibogaine research? how?

Rick Venglarcik RickV at hnncsb.org
Tue Jun 3 08:01:45 EDT 2003

This is sad, but true.  Most counselors that I know are decent,
well-meaning people.  As you know, however, working with opiate addicted
folks isn't all that easy.  As such, there is often a rather predictable
life-cycle for (perhaps) the majority of such counselors.
1.  Decent, well-meaning folks get burnt out, angry, hostile and quit.
2.  Decent, well-meaning folks get burnt out, angry, hostile, then
become hard and control-oriented...often excelling as rigid
"bean-counter" sorts, and rising to a position of greater control, thus
creating even larger and more miserable systems of control.
3.  Decent, well-meaning folks get burnt out, angry, hostile, and
remain...but learn over time to separate their feelings from their work,
and not to personalize all the lies, nonsense, deceit, etc., and simply
find enjoyment in working with the individuals they are there to serve.
This is the great minority.

As with all systems of control (cops and robbers; boss and worker
drones; etc.), it isn't person #3 that typically rises to a position of
authority.  Because they have learned to rid themselves of the more
harmful, rigid concepts of control, they have a better understanding of
how to more effectively work with addicted persons. Folks in position
#2, because they think they know how it should all work (despite never
taking a hard look at how effective their draconian measures are), come
to view those who are compassionate (and thus challenge the outmoded
constructs of control) as "taking their side;"  they view the world as
one of dichotomous conflict...just as they have been "programmed" to do.
 Thus, systems of control, and rigid individuals who function well
within such constructs, tend to increase in power and size, creating
misery for all.

That's my perspective on the inside, anyway.  But hey, I'm just a grunt
whose fate draweth nigh.
If I were opiate addicted, I'd find a real good aftercare sort of
assistance and do ibogaine as much as I had to in order to get myself
"unsprung."

_____________________________________
Rick Venglarcik, MA, CSAC
Hampton Roads Clinic
2236 W. Queen St., Suite C
Hampton,  VA  23666

Office:  (757) 827-8430 x144
Fax:  (757) 826-2772
Cell: (757) 270-9839
_____________________________________

>>> aa.senepart at xtra.co.nz 06/03/03 07:21AM >>>
Nothing wrong with profit if there are good reasons or intentions
behind it.
As far as I can see most govts don't want the hassle of recognizing
ibogaine.  It costs them votes cost addicts are a minority group and
my
understanding of supplying Methadone is that is cheap shit that costs
them
as little as possible and apparently keeps crime down cos it keeps
addicts
happy and out of trouble.  They are seen to go through all the motions
of
therapy etc. while not spending too much money or time and think they
can
shove the whole problem under the carpet sort of thing.
Mostly its all crap.  The originial idea of the Methadone programe was
drop dosage and get people off which hardly ever happens to my
knowledge.
Most people I know end up increasing not dropping.  Most of the so
called
people who are supposed to provide help don't even know what they are
talking about and are very uninformed about their job in general but
still
get paid for repeating text book phrases.  I probably sound cynical but
they
give my a guts ache.  Thats why I won't go through all the crap to go
on the
programme. I'd rather stay at home and deal with myself than those
wankers.
It would be great to see some progress on ibogaine or even open minds
other treatments but it seems like banging your head against a brick
wall at
times.  I know there are people who are passionate out there but the
majority are just muddling along in some passive state worrying about
whats
in their own back yard.
PS  Sorry for ranting.  Must be in one of those moods.  Allison