granny is addicted but ineligable for treatment?

preston peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 28 10:00:33 EST 2003

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/67308.htm

GRANNY IS A JUNKIE

By DENISE BUFFA

January 23, 2003 -- An accused pill-pushing granny is also a pill-popper who
needs help - but her lawyer says he's having trouble finding the right rehab
for a Russian-speaking grandma who swallows 200 pills a month.
"She doesn't use cocaine or heroin. She uses painkillers," defense lawyer
Joseph Muré Jr. said, "and she has mental health problems."
The granny, Roza Shusterman, 80, showed up in Brooklyn Supreme Court
yesterday - with a cane instead of her trademark walker - prepared to admit
guilt in the prescription-drug-sale case provided she'd go into a program
instead of prison, Muré said....

Her lawyer says in court documents the pills were prescribed to combat her
various ailments, but yesterday he said she's addicted to Dilaudid, which
has been called "drugstore heroin" on the street.
When court personnel interviewed her about drug use yesterday, Shusterman -
who sported a helmet of gray hair - told them she didn't use coke or smack,
and they deemed her ineligible for a program, Muré said.
snip-

This reminds me of the first time I sought treatment for myself, for crack
cocaine use, and had to stop to drink a couple beers before actually
arriving at the place, on the advice of the person we spoke to over the
phone at the treatment facility, who told me that the state of Florida would
not pay for simple crack abuse treatment, that I had to have an alcohol
problem to be admitted into the place, in 1987.
    Hmmm....
Peace,
Preston Peet
ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Editor http://www.drugwar.com
Editor at Large High Times mag/.com
"Prohibition creates an irresistibly lucrative
opportunity for entrepreneurs willing to operate
in illicit business. It is the policy
of idealists who cannot appreciate that the use
of drugs often reflects other sets of human
ideals: human perfectibility, the yearning
for a perfect moment, the peace that comes
from oblivion." Richard Davenport-Hines