More Methadone Horror Stories

R. A. Venglarcik raven at sybercom.net
Mon Jan 27 21:17:06 EST 2003

>From a Canadian friend...

>From Saint John, New Brunswick:
Michael Hebert cut off his remaining toe this week.
The 26-year-old inmate of the Saint John Regional Correctional Centre in
New Brunswick used the blade from a razor Monday to make the cut and
protest being taken off methadone.
Despite the "severe pain" Hebert said he'll continue to mutilate himself
until he gets put back on the program he said he needs to combat a
heroin addiction.
"Either I get on this program or I ain't gonna come out of this sentence
alive," he said.
Hebert had his parole revoked last September and was sent to the Saint
John Jail to await a weapons charge.
Jail officials cut off his methadone after a urine test revealed the
presence of marijuana.
Methadone, a synthetic opiate, is used to treat addiction to opiates
such as heroin, codeine and morphine.
___

I wonder if they'll be cutting the pay of the lazy jail staff who failed
to do their jobs by safeguarding Mr. Hebert from the smuggling
activities related to this vicious and destructive weed.