[ibogaine] Turning Curious Teens Into Crackheads

Gamma gammalyte9000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 11 06:01:21 EST 2003

--- Dana Beal <dana at cures-not-wars.org> wrote:

>US: Breaking Out Of The 12-Step Lockstep

>But today, the recovery movement -- with its emphasis on
> childhood victimization, lifetime attendance at
>12-step groups and complete abstinence from all psychoactive
> substances -- hasfallen from pop culture
>favor.  "There was a time when it was almost the 'in thing' to
> say you were in recovery," says William
>White, author of "Slaying the Dragon," a history of addiction
> treatment.  Thankfully, that is no longer the
>case.

True as it is that 12 steps helped me through some really tough times, I am
dis-associating myself from the 12 step scene, for many of the same reasons put
forth in this essay by Maia that Dana Posted. Most people assume/believe that
Bill Wilson devised the 12 steps with Dr Bob but when in fact these principles
that so may 12 steppers hold so dear came directly from The Oxford Group, a
religious, evangelical study group. to say NA is not religious is completely
off-base when you take into account the number of times God is mentioned in
just the 12 steps (11 out of 12).

but what turns our stomachs more and more is the self-rightous zeal that many
long-time 12 step members have towards those of us who question the "law", or
have our own ideas about how recovery really works. We live in a small, rural
setting and have experienced similar accusations as seen in the the movie "The
Crucible". Gosip becomes truth, and us evil-doers are cast out and shunned by
the "true believers".

There are some great books out there about recovery, and statistically you have
a better chance of staying off dope by associating with people who never had a
problem to begin with than to constantly go to meetings, continually
identifying yourself as an addict and tying yourself to the past. Ozzy Osbourne
put it quite eloquently: "If I lost a leg, do I really want to spend the rest
of my life sitting in a room with a bunch of one legged people?"(or something
to that effect)

end rant.

-Gamma