[ibogaine] ibogaine question seattle

Jon Freedlander jfreed1 at umbc.edu
Sun Jan 5 12:14:44 EST 2003

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Joshua Tinnin wrote:

> Salvionorin A, the active ingredient in Salvia d., is a kappa opioid
> receptor (not opiate) agonist. So is enadoline. Not sure about ibogaine.

duh...yes, i meant opioid. i should remember not to try to post
intelligently after having a fight with my girlfriend... =)

now that i'm a bit more clearheaded, ibogaine acts as an agonist to some
degree on the mu, delta, and kappa opioid receptors, not with very high
affinity. out of those three though, its highest affinity is for the kappa
subtype.

noribogaine, ibogaine's primary metabolite, binds to those three receptors
with quite high affinity, the highest being for the kappa subtype
according to Bhargava et al (1997). (though pablo and mash found that
noribogaine bound with a higher affinity to the mu subtype.

in any case, this might let some credence to my speculation that salvia
might be useful due to having some of the same pharmacological actions as
ibogaine. although, because ibogaine acts on so many neurotransmitter
systems that it's entirely possible that i'm just talking out of my

| League of Surrealist Discord        -               www.lsdrecords.net |
|                  'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds...               |