[ibogaine] ibogaine question seattle

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at myrealbox.com
Fri Jan 3 23:20:21 EST 2003

Hey, Curtis,

I can't really talk about it too much at the moment, so I hope you can
understand this. Maybe I could take it offlist or something ... it's just a
very personal situation at the moment, and I'm still trying to work through
it. But, just to clarify, I never had any addiction to opiates, although I
probably would have if I put myself in that situation, which I consciously
avoided. My addiction was to a different substance. Although LSD helped me
immensely, I'm not out of the woods, and I didn't take it intending to be
changed forever by it ... but, well, it happened anyway. I'm not by any
means new to the experience in general. This is why I'm afraid to advocate
for it, because it took more than just LSD for it to work, and I'm not quite
sure what all the elements were that did that. I think it was just the right
time for me, but didn't know it until it happened. It was a ton of bricks
and about a freight train hitting me at full speed ... LSD was the catalyst,
to be sure, but it required a very careful combination of other things (not
chemicals) to be in place for it to work that way. It's unpredicatble. It
left me with some lingering questions and problems, and some of them are
just my own lack of self esteem, but it takes time to sort it out.

As I said, I am going to be following up with other therapy. But would
prefer to leave it at that for the moment. I am not a brilliant communicator
as Patrick is, and haven't yet figured it all out for myself, either. But
this is something that I feel has to be shared at some point, because, if it
has the possibility of helping someone, then it will have been worth it. I
just don't want people dosing themselves thinking that's what I told them to
do, and then getting pissed because it didn't work for them, or because,
forbid, they got screwed up by the experience. Just gotta tread carefully
and take this a bit at a time, and later maybe can speak to it when I
understand it better, when it would be less likely to be misunderstood ...

- jt