(OT) Re: [ibogaine] how the right views the anti-war movement.

preston peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Mon Feb 17 21:47:21 EST 2003

whats'is face wrote >Between the Vichy French and the Neo Nazi Germans, who
both sell to Saddam equipment to make WMD...<

LOL, if this person weren't so scary (I apologize to the list, but listening
to the boob tube talking heads behind me talking about how heroic Bush/Blair
are going to heroicly ignore the protests, well, people like this dude here
I can at least respond to even if I don't think it'll do much good...the
boobs on the boobtube I can't)-

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/18/international/middleeast/18CHEM.html
Officers Say U.S. Aided Iraq in War Despite Use of Gas
By PATRICK E. TYLER

ASHINGTON, Aug. 17 - A covert American program during the Reagan
administration provided Iraq with critical battle planning assistance at a
time when American intelligence agencies knew that Iraqi commanders would
employ chemical weapons in waging the decisive battles of the Iran-Iraq war,
according to senior military officers with direct knowledge of the program.
Those officers, most of whom agreed to speak on the condition that they not
be identified, spoke in response to a reporter's questions about the nature
of gas warfare on both sides of the conflict between Iran and Iraq from 1981
to 1988. Iraq's use of gas in that conflict is repeatedly cited by President
Bush and, this week, by his national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, as
justification for "regime change" in Iraq.
The covert program was carried out at a time when President Reagan's top
aides, including Secretary of State George P. Shultz, Defense Secretary
Frank C. Carlucci and Gen. Colin L. Powell, then the national security
adviser, were publicly condemning Iraq for its use of poison gas, especially
after Iraq attacked Kurds in Halabja in March 1988.
snip-

http://observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,882512,00.html

US buys up Iraqi oil to stave off crisis

Seizing reserves will be an allied priority if forces go in

Faisal Islam and Nick Paton Walsh in Moscow
Sunday January 26, 2003
The Observer

Facing its most chronic shortage in oil stocks for 27 years, the US has this
month turned to an unlikely source of help - Iraq.
Weeks before a prospective invasion of Iraq, the oil-rich state has doubled
its exports of oil to America, helping US refineries cope with a
debilitating strike in Venezuela.
After the loss of 1.5 million barrels per day of Venezuelan production in
December the oil price rocketed, and the scarcity of reserves threatened to
do permanent damage to the US oil refinery and transport infrastructure. To
keep the pipelines flowing, President Bush stopped adding to the 700m barrel
strategic reserve.
But ultimately oil giants such as Chevron, Exxon, BP and Shell saved the day
by doubling imports from Iraq from 0.5m barrels in November to over 1m
barrels per day to solve the problem. Essentially, US importers diverted
0.5m barrels of Iraqi oil per day heading for Europe and Asia to save the
American oil infrastructure.
The trade, though bizarre given current Pentagon plans to launch around 300
cruise missiles a day on Iraq, is legal under the terms of UN's oil for food
programme.
But for opponents of war, it shows the unspoken aim of military action in
Iraq, which has the world's second largest proven reserves - some 112
billion barrels, and at least another 100bn of unproven reserves, according
to the US Department of Energy. Iraqi oil is comparatively simple to
extract - less than $1 per barrel, compared with $6 a barrel in Russia.
Soon, US and British forces could be securing the source of that oil as a
priority in the war strategy. The Iraqi fields south of Basra produce prized
'sweet crudes' that are simpler to refine.
On Friday, Pentagon sources said US military planners 'have crafted
strategies that will allow us to secure and protect those fields as rapidly
as possible in order to then preserve those prior to destruction'.
snip-

http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?offset=&query=cheney
+iraq+halliburton&multiViewArticleId001103000626=001103000626
A discreet way of doing business with Iraq
FT.com site; Nov 3, 2000
BY CAROLA HOYOS, UNITED NATIONS CORRESPONDENT
Millions of dollars of US oil business with Iraq are being channelled
discreetly through European and other companies, in a practice that has
highlighted the double standards now dominating relations between Baghdad
and Washington after a decade of crippling sanctions.
Though legal, leading US oil service companies such as Halliburton, Baker
Hughes, Schlumberger, Flowserve, Fisher-Rosemount and others, have used
subsidiaries and joint venture companies for this lucrative business, so as
to avoid straining relations with Washington and jeopardising their ties
with President Saddam Hussein's government in Baghdad.
By submitting their contracts to the UN via mainly French subsidiaries, many
of which do little more than lend their name to the transaction, the
companies are treated as European, rather than US or Japanese, applicants.
snip-

Ex-CIA Director Confesses U.S. Supplied Iraq With Anthrax Bacteria in 80s
http://www.tehrantimes.com/News.asp?Da=10/23/01&Cat=2&Num=0#0017

TEHRAN TIMES POLITICAL DESK

TEHRAN The former director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) confessed
that the U.S. had supplied the Iraqi regime with the anthrax bacteria during
80s -- Iran-Iraq wartime.

The anthrax bacteria were available at many labs of the U.S. and were
distributed among different countries including Iraq during 80s, the
official news agency of Spain, EFE, quoted the ex-CIA head, James Wosely, as
saying on Sunday.
snip-

U.S. Had Key Role in Iraq Buildup
Trade in Chemical Arms Allowed Despite Their Use on Iranians, Kurds

by Michael Dobbs

High on the Bush administration's list of justifications for war against
Iraq are President Saddam Hussein's use of chemical weapons, nuclear and
biological programs, and his contacts with international terrorists. What
U.S. officials rarely acknowledge is that these offenses date back to a
period when Hussein was seen in Washington as a valued ally.

Among the people instrumental in tilting U.S. policy toward Baghdad during
the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war was Donald H. Rumsfeld, now defense secretary,
whose December 1983 meeting with Hussein as a special presidential envoy
paved the way for normalization of U.S.-Iraqi relations. Declassified
documents show that Rumsfeld traveled to Baghdad at a time when Iraq was
using chemical weapons on an "almost daily" basis in defiance of
international conventions.
 snip-