[ibogaine] progress?

Nick Sandberg nicks22 at onetel.net.uk
Wed Dec 17 12:38:33 EST 2003

---- Original message ----
>Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:42:22 -0800
>From: "Sara Glatt" <sara119 at xs4all.nl>
>Subject: [ibogaine] progress?
>To: <ibogaine at mindvox.com>
>
>   Link: File-List
>
>   A senior executive at Europe's largest drug maker
>   has admitted most prescription medicines don't work
>   for most people, it is reported.
>   Allen Roses, of GlaxoSmithKline, is quoted in a
>   national newspaper as saying more than 90% of drugs
>   only work in 30-50% of people.
>
>   He said: "Drugs on the market work, but they don't
>   work in everybody."
>
>   Mr Roses, an expert in genetics, said new
>   developments should help tailor drugs more
>   specifically.
>
>   At present, pharmaceutical companies adopt a
>   "one-drug-fits-all" policy.
>
>   But Mr Roses said refinements in genetic technology
>   should make it possible to identify more precisely
>   those people who were likely to benefit from a drug.
>
>   He said: "By eliminating the people that we predict
>   will be non-responders we'll be able to do smaller,
>   faster and cheaper drug trials.
>
>   "If you can determine who is going to have a
>   response (to a drug) and who is not going to have a
>   response, you can take your next molecule and aim it
>   specifically at the people who haven't had a
>   response with the first one so that you can create a
>   set of drugs that cover the population, and then you
>   are back to selling to everybody."
>
>   Big differences
>
>   GSK announced last week that it had more than 20
>   potential $1 billion-a-year blockbuster drugs in
>   development.
>
>   Mr Roses quoted research published three years ago
>   by Brian Spear, an expert in medical diagnostics,
>   which found that different drugs had vastly
>   different success rates in treating patients.
>
>   Most drugs had an efficacy rate of 50% or lower.
>
>   Richard Ley, a spokesman for the Association of the
>   British Pharmaceutical Industry, told BBC News
>   Online, said Mr Roses' comments emphasised just how
>   important it was to conduct research into new
>   products.
>
>   He said: "It's not news to anyone that not all drugs
>   work in all people all the time.
>
>   "Sometimes the government and the National Institute
>   for Clinical Excellence want to try to find one drug
>   for a particular condition.
>
>   "This shows quite clearly that is not a viable
>   approach. A medicine might work well in one person,
>   and not at all for another."

Thanks for posting this, Sara. So, I guess we can expect big
scandals in the media soon about "drugs not working for lots
of people", to be soon mysteriously followed by the "smart
drug revolution" from those wonderful guys at GSK.
Classic "problem, reaction, solution" media marketing.

Related to iboga, readers might like to know that the
ibopyrines also offer potential for smart-profiling, if I
recall Winfried's original proposal for $10 a shot iboga. You
can adapt the isomerism of the basic ibopyrine molecule for
liver profile or other variables. Remains unresearched sadly.

Nick