progress?

Sara Glatt sara119 at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 13 10:42:22 EST 2003

A senior executive at Europe's largest drug maker has admitted most
prescription medicines don't work for most people, it is reported.
Allen Roses, of GlaxoSmithKline, is quoted in a national newspaper as
saying more than 90% of drugs only work in 30-50% of people.

He said: "Drugs on the market work, but they don't work in everybody."

Mr Roses, an expert in genetics, said new developments should help
tailor drugs more specifically.

At present, pharmaceutical companies adopt a "one-drug-fits-all" policy.

But Mr Roses said refinements in genetic technology should make it
possible to identify more precisely those people who were likely to
benefit from a drug.

He said: "By eliminating the people that we predict will be
non-responders we'll be able to do smaller, faster and cheaper drug
trials.

"If you can determine who is going to have a response (to a drug) and
who is not going to have a response, you can take your next molecule and
aim it specifically at the people who haven't had a response with the
first one so that you can create a set of drugs that cover the
population, and then you are back to selling to everybody."

Big differences

GSK announced last week that it had more than 20 potential $1
billion-a-year blockbuster drugs in development.

Mr Roses quoted research published three years ago by Brian Spear, an
expert in medical diagnostics, which found that different drugs had
vastly different success rates in treating patients.

Most drugs had an efficacy rate of 50% or lower.

Richard Ley, a spokesman for the Association of the British
Pharmaceutical Industry, told BBC News Online, said Mr Roses' comments
emphasised just how important it was to conduct research into new
products.

He said: "It's not news to anyone that not all drugs work in all people
all the time.

"Sometimes the government and the National Institute for Clinical
Excellence want to try to find one drug for a particular condition.

"This shows quite clearly that is not a viable approach. A medicine
might work well in one person, and not at all for another."

Hey, that is true!
Also,  it is the same with natural herbs and Iboga, it doesn't "waken
up" everyone.
There is not one dosage that fits to everyone needs, there is "not one
way "which is the best way for everyone
Some like sweet and some salt, I write this because it looks like that
EU are going to have new regulation.
Who Is going to stand up and say: we want more freedom AND NOT MORE
REGULATIONS, after all
The pharma. Are not that good for everyone, and there was a place for
progress, why stop it?

Sara

,