[ibogaine] the CRACK incentive

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at myrealbox.com
Wed Jul 31 00:45:41 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rebecca Silverman" <becca_vail at hotmail.com>

> I'm just now reading my ibogaine folder so I don't mean to restart a convo
> that made so many people jump down each others throats but to give one
more
> woman's opinion I don't get the problem. Or yes I do, but not like why
it's
> the end of the world.
>
> Offering $200 to someone who has no money and is on drugs will probably
> motivate them to get that money so they can do more drugs. I'm sure that
> CRACK knows that and that's the whole point of offering it.

Yes, which is exactly why they would make the rash decision of sterilizing
themselves for $200.

> I think patrick and preston agreed that it's not a lot of money and for
> someone to sit around and wait for that while they are sterilized, they
> would find some other way to get money instead, which I also agree with.
>
> Someone else brought up how what should happen is that person should be
> offered treatment. Which made me laugh a little because when I was out
there
> I think one thing I learned is that not all of them, but most of the
people
> who are out there, want to be. They don't want treatment they want more
> drugs. Should they be forcibly helped against their will??

Again, it would be a personal choice, not forced. Incidentally, CRACK does
offer treatment, or it does refer people to it who want it.

> To all the people who got so upset about the potential of killing babies
> that don't exist, how do you feel about abortion? I don't get the problem
at
> all. Sorry.

Abortion != (does not equal) sterilization. Sterilization is a permanent
condition, whereas abortion terminates one pregnancy.

> I don't see the big problem with the incentive and I don't see any simple
> solution either because I don't completely side with Patrick and all the
> other legalise everything people because I think that would surely
increase
> drug use at the same time I do think everyone has the right to make their
> own choices.

I think the best option would be to legalize cannabis, period. And I would
also favor the legalization of LSD, MDMA, psilocybin, fly agaric, and most
other psychedelics, and with that to encourage responsibility and set and
setting in their use. Many of these substances can have benefits, especially
when used in therapeutic settings. The underground use and distribution of
psychedelics does anything but encourage responsible use, except when
friends give good advice and so forth.

But, as far as highly addictive substances, harm reduction should be the
key. Keeping heroin and cocaine in the black market isn't helping anyone. If
pure and known quantities of these drugs were available to addicts free of
charge, in observed settings, with addicts encouraged, but not forced, to
get treatment (with options such as ibogaine available), then, at the very
least, the number of OD deaths would drop dramatically. The truth is that
most people won't do heroin, period, even if it is legal, due to its stigma,
and because of the obvious vicious cycle it engenders. But think of the drop
in crime if addicts didn't have to pay for their drugs anymore. Think of the
positive repercussions if addicts were treated under the umbrella of health
and social issues rather than as criminals. I'm not talking about
decriminalization of highly addictive drugs, as then those drugs would still
be in the balck market, and the problems with purity and money would still
exist. Pharmacologically, heroin is very safe - it's when the unknowns in
purity and processing get involved that the real problems arise. I'm talking
about legalization for addicts, with the product supplied free of charge,
rather than allowing the service for those who are "just curious," and who
want to try it for the first time. I suppose the black market would still
exist for those people, but it would be much, much smaller.

Anyway, just a thought. I tend to favor the most compassionate approach over
those which emphasize unrealistic fears, and also over those which
criminalize something which, at its core, is a health and social issue.

As an aside, cannabis use is lower in Amsterdam among residents than in the
US.

- jt