[ibogaine] after ibogaine and SMART

Rick Venglarcik RickV at hnncsb.org
Tue Jul 16 09:17:37 EDT 2002

A very solid point, with which I totally agree.

 Redefine yourself.  Change.  The only meetings I have ever gone to
were due to the fact that I am an SA Counselor.  Perosnally, I really
can't stand the things.  I hate the smoke. I hate the huge line of BS
I've heard coming out of people. I hate the 13th-steppers.  I hate
listening to people bitching and moaning about things, but never doing
anything to solve their problems.  This isn't to say that meetings don't
work or that they're all bad...but they don't work for everybody.  As a
result of my experiences, I certainly have a greater likelihood or
tendency toward chemical use, but I don't think this is any different
than someone who develops a pattern of "womanizing," having a
predilection toward straying off the marital pasture to sample the grass
of another fold.  My drug-free lifestyle is a tribute to a "program" of
religious experience, followed by the constant pursuit of redefining who
I am.  Whatever works...work it.  Jesus doesn't work? Try Buddha.  Try
NA. Try Ibo.

Step out of the pigeon-hole  that you're in.  Labels are a major part
of the problem.  Society likes to categorize people into groups,
neglecting the reality that we are the most complicated, intelligent
organism that has evolved on the planet.  To label myself as a
"recovering addict" only diverts attention from the other 99.5% of who I
am.  Labels are great for those people who can BE labeled and make it
work for them, so they CAN be useful.

I've been in the SA field and clean for 11 years.  Despite this fact,
other counselors I have worked with are shocked, dismayed, and,
sometimes, outright certain that I'm "in relapse," because I will have
an occasional beer or two or a couple glasses of wine...though I have
not had any difficulty with this over the whole course of time.  They're
labelers. Box-thinkers.  Labels and boxes are rigid boundaries.
Violations of these boundaries produce guilt, which others (and
ourselves) use to manipulate our behavior.  However, they are not
effective modalities of change in the long run.  Recognize your power of
choice. Recognize that you are capable of change by working on your
behaviors. You are more than an "addict."  Within you there is a seed of
greatness which is simply awaiting the right sort of water.

_____________________________________
Rick Venglarcik, MA, CSAC
Hampton Roads Clinic
2236 W. Queen St., Suite C
Hampton,  VA  23666

Office:  (757) 827-8430 x144
Fax:  (757) 826-2772
Cell: (757) 270-9839

>>> becca_vail at hotmail.com 07/16/02 07:06AM >>>

>And you know what else, everything Patrick ever writes or says is 'I'm
not
>in recovery, I just stopped shooting heroin,' Randy on this list wrote

>nearly the same thing, most of us have grown into beliefs very close
>that. The only ones left defining themselves as addicts are the ones
who are
>still sitting in rehab and relapsing because of a mysterious disease
:-)