[ibogaine] Fw: ReconsiDer Tidbit: Treatment Works... or does it?

Jon Freedlander jfreed1 at umbc.edu
Sat Dec 28 13:14:05 EST 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Alison Senepart wrote:

> After reading your mail and digesting it all I can't say I agree with it
> all.  Are you quoting from books and literature or have you been addicted to
> heroin, cocaine or any other substance.  Sounds to me as if you are quoting
> from passages or literature that you have read but I could be wrong.  How
> can you state that heroin leaves the body rapidly etc.  If thats the case
> perhaps you could explain spending days in bed sweating, vomiting, turbulent
> bowels and in general feeling like shite for days. My experience is that it
> takes weeks to clean up not hours.   The reason most people resort to

heroin has a half-life (that is, the amount of time it takes for half of
the amount of drug taken to be eliminated) of 2 - 6 hours, depending on
the method of administration.

withdrawal symptoms are not a result of the drug being left in the system,
rather while the drug is present, withdrawal symptoms do not occur. this
is one of the rationals of methadone maintenence; since it has a longer
half life than heroin, the user can take it less frequently while still
avoiding withdrawal. unfortunately, the flip side of that is that
methadone can be more difficult to get off, since it stays in the body
longer.

in any case, opiate withdrawal occurs primarily because, after becoming
dependent on an opiate, the body's production of endorphins is diminished.
endorphins are morphine like chemicals that protect the body from pain.

basically, when one takes opiates for an extended period of time, the body
goes "oh, ok. you're putting these endorphin like things in me, so i dont
need to keep making em". then, when the opiate use stops, it takes a
little while before your body realises "hey, shit. i need to start making
endorphins again".

Jon Freedlander				       userpages.umbc.edu/~jfreed1
Consulting Editor
Journal of Drug Education and Awareness
http://www.novapublishers.com/journals/drugawareness.html
"We are all prisoners of our minds. This realization is the first step
on the journey to freedom."
						-- Ram Dass